Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new table saw advice needed

I can't say anything about the Bosch but I can tell you to stay away from the Ridgid R4510. I know they give a lifetime warranty but what good is a saw if you can't use it? I've had mine for 14 months and it's been in the repair shop for over 6 months. Hope this helps you decide.

If you wait 7 more days, powermatic is coming out with a "big suprise." Who knows what it will be. You never know, it could be a portable table saw with blade stopping technology.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

yes, this saw will be stored folded up at the edge of the garage. I don't have the room for anything like a true contractor or cabinet saw. The bosch 4100-09 is still looking good. How is Dewalt's saw with the rack and pinion fence set up?

Thanks for the heads up on the rigid saw. Rigid tools always look good but I keep hearing bad things about customer service.

I LOVE my SawStop, but probably too big for you. I almost purchased the BOSCH you mention. I liked how easy it was to move around. I can also say that Dewalt had great customer service the one time I needed to deal with them.

If yr dead set on folding it up, I'd go for the Bosch. The product and company just don't get any negative reviews, and I'm sure you'll be able to resell it for good $$ if/when you decide u need to upgrade.

I've used Bosch drills, routers, and sanders, and I can say their quality and service is top notch.

The only reason to get a different saw is if you want MORE saw. In the portables/bench/rollaround/foldups, there just isn't anything significantly better FROM WHAT I READ.

I have a Dewalt, for a tiny little plastic saw with a sheetmetal top, it's not bad. Best thing about it is the fence. Used it as a jobsite saw, have a Uni in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    If you wait 7 more days, powermatic is coming out with a "big suprise." Who knows what it will be. You never know, it could be a portable table saw with blade stopping technology.
    IMNSHO Powermatic will NEVER make a bench top table saw, if they do I will eat my PM2000 manual.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sounds like the bosch is the winner! Any suggestions on what blade I should get for it? I will cut a limited amount of plywood, but mostly will be cutting 4/4 black walnut (had several trees milled last year and I'm itchin' to start using it!)

On the same note. Should I use separate blades for ripping and crosscutting? I've always used the same blade on my table saw for both, a 40 tooth freud. Also, I'm looking for a new blade for my miter saw. It's a Hitachi 10" sliding compound miter saw, which usually wears a 60 tooth freud blade. What's a good blade for it?

Forrest blades for both your saws. WW II for the table saw and Chop Master for the Hitachi.

For the tablesaw, I'm partial to combo (50t) blades for cross cutting, and a dedicated ripping blade (24-30t) for stock > 4/4. I only put on the ripping blade when I have a bunch of large and rough rips at the start of a project. The combo blade is clean on the cross cuts, but also hearty enough to rip fairly well.

I'm going to go a different route with this reply. Had a Bosch 4100 that I used as a jobsite saw. I really liked the saw, except for the fact that shortly after the warranty expired, the saw expired. Admittedly I probably used the jobsite saw more than the average amateur woodworker would use it, but for $600 + it was just too short lived.

It would be relatively easy for Powermatic to actually do this in a bit of badge engineering as Jet already makes a Bench model saw and I believe they're both owned by same company, WMH.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    IMNSHO Powermatic will NEVER make a bench top table saw, if they do I will eat my PM2000 manual.

Yeah, I agree, a 50T combo blade is a good compromise or all around blade if you'd like to have one blade. Something else to consider is a thin kerf blade, which will be easier on those saws with "universal" motors on them.

+1 on the TK blade.