Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new table saw advice needed

new table saw advice needed

after using a cheap craftsman bottom of the line saw for the last 10 yrs or so; I finally managed to wear out the motor. So I'm in the market for a new saw. While I'd love to have a large cabinet saw, there is no way I could find a spot to put it! I'm looking at the contractor style saws on a folding mobile base. Right now I'm looking at the Bosch 4100 model. Any reviews of this saw or recommendations for another similar size saw?

The Bosch is considered a bench top (though often used by contractors), a contractors saw is the next class up and not nearly as portable, and thus you hardly ever see a contractor using one...

The Bosch is the best in its class it is as simple as that though I prefer the Dewalt fence. Although I cringe at the thought of that much money for a portable saw I understand the situation. With any of the portable saws I suggest finding a way to weight the stand down when in use.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the Bosch 4100. It was my first saw and done every thing I have asked it. The fence is decent, dust collection is OK, and has had enough power with a thin kerf blade to do everything I have asked. The thickest hardwood I have ripped on it was 8/4 oak. I have cut a lot of PT with it which seems to be the hardest cutting just because it is wet and likes to react when being ripped. The riving knife is nice, easy to pop up and down, and works well.

If you want it to be portable (IE. load it up into your truck and go to a job with it) then the gravity rise stand and the slide out extensions for the table are very nice. If you are going for a less mobile setup then you could build into a bench.

About 8 mos ago I bought a used Unisaw at a school auction. After cleaning it up and replacing all of the bearings and belts, it is a horse. I put an Incra fence on it and would recommend this setup to anyone. That said I am keeping the Bosch because it is portable. I can fold it up and haul it into the house a job quick and easy. Sometimes it's nice to have two setups in the saws at once also. If you want a portable solution, the Bosch is one of the best choices.

Don

I have been using the Bosch 4000 on a Rousseau 2500 base for the last 8 years or so. It was the smallest most affordable, most transportable saw and best featured saw, before stepping up to a 3 hp shop saw. I hated the 2 stands that Bosch sold at the time. The gravity rise has such a huge footprint and the smaller red stand was not portable - no wheels. The Rousseau made this saw a perfect set up. If you wore out the motor on one saw I'm guessing you use a T saw pretty regularly. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that the 4100 might prove to be too much of a small saw. The Bosch 4000 might be a better next saw for you that would serve you well for many many years.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

If you really want a "contractor" size saw I would stronly urge you to look very seriously at the SawStop Contractor saw. I don't own one but I just bought a SawStop Professional Cabinet saw and in addition to the SawStop safety feature it is a very high quality table saw. Having said that I also think that you cannot go wrong with most Bosch products.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'll be the one to mention that a cabinet saw's footprint is often smaller than a contractor or a job saw and stand ;-) One of the advantages I got when moving to a cabinet format saw was all the room I got back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed View Post
    after using a cheap craftsman bottom of the line saw for the last 10 yrs or so; I finally managed to wear out the motor. So I'm in the market for a new saw. While I'd love to have a large cabinet saw, there is no way I could find a spot to put it! I'm looking at the contractor style saws on a folding mobile base. Right now I'm looking at the Bosch 4100 model. Any reviews of this saw or recommendations for another similar size saw?
    What kind of room are you dealing with? I'm with Glen, the footprints aren't any different. Saws like the PM66 and Delta Uni with standard tops aren't very big, and on a mobile base can be moved around the room easily. I have my PM66 in a 12'x20' shop, it's kept company by 2 rolling tool boxes, a Rikon 10-325 band saw, a 60gal air compressor, refridgerator, bench drill press and disk/belt snader on a rolling cart, 15ft or so of work bench w/ my lathe mounted on it, a computer stand w/computer and TV with radio and amp mounted above it, a Craftsman 10" band saw (Rikon 10-305 clone), and a rolling router table.

I'm working in a double car garage with very little extra space on the sides or up front. At the end of any work day everything is folded up and rolled to the edge of the garage so two vehicles can still be parked inside.

When I started looking at getting a new saw, I looked at cabinet saw but my shop is in a shed and the weight of them was more then I wanted. Space is a biggy for me and I went with the Jet contractor saw, the motor is in side so the saw takes up no more room then a cabinet saw and it is lighter.

I have been really happy with the Jet, it is a little under power but I still cut 8\4 hardwood all the time.

I'm working in a double car garage with very little extra space on the sides or up front. At the end of any work day everything is folded up and rolled to the edge of the garage so two vehicles can still be parked inside.
    So are you folding the saw up so the top of the saw is vertical in storage? Or is the table saw just rolled to the end or edge?

There's also this phrase, " Honey, I think your car would be much happier sitting out in the fresh air".

Blog Entries
    If I were looking for a contractors saw I think I would keep an eye on craigslist and pick up a good Delta or Powermatic or similar saw. I see quality contractor saws in our local craigslist (Washington DC) routinely.

Glenn and Kevin make a good point though, some cabinet saws don't have a bigger footprint than a contractor saw.

If I was looking for a new contractor saw I think I would also seriously consider a new Sawstop.

PHM

The basic format of the saw comes down to how much room one actually has, the job site saws like the Bosch don't take up much room and can be stored on a bench, on a shelf (how high depends on how strong you are) or even horizontal. The true "contractors saws" take up more real estate than the average cabinet saw. Stephen first has to decide how much room he is actually willing to devote to TS storage.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've been working with a Jet Contractor saw for 17 years and while it's been very reliable and does a great job, it does take up quite a bit of room and produce an abundance of sawdust. I'm going to list it FS in the next few weeks and will be looking very hard at the Bosch 4100-09. I like to push the TS outside to do my cutting and even with a mobile base, a contractor saw is not very portable. Mine will high center on the transition between garage and driveway. I'm also in a 2-car garage and the Bosch is 1/2 half the size of my Jet when folded up, that is a lot of space when it's sparse. On another forum, guys have a lot of praise for the Bosch and have modified it to capture the majority of sawdust with smaller collector. The only real possible downfall I see with the Bosch is it's slightly noisier and the distance in front of the blade seems relatively small, making it tougher to cut sheet goods. This is typical of most bench saw's though. This can be easily addressed by cutting your sheet goods down with a circular saw 1st and then cutting to size with the TS. Prices on the Bosch vary considerably through the year, best I've seen was just after Christmas at $490ish with all rebates, etc.
    Good luck,
    Mac

Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-28-2012 at 4:55 PM.

For some perspective - here is a photo of the Bosch 4000 on a Rosseau 2500 stand all folded up against the wall. 17" deep and 32" tall and another of it set up to work. Pretty compact rig.

P5281375.jpg P5281376.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The basic format of the saw comes down to how much room one actually has, the job site saws like the Bosch don't take up much room and can be stored on a bench, on a shelf (how high depends on how strong you are) or even horizontal. The true "contractors saws" take up more real estate than the average cabinet saw. Stephen first has to decide how much room he is actually willing to devote to TS storage.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get more details about how he's storing his saw. Just making sure all he's thought about all the angles, as there is no comparsion between a portable TS and a cabinet saw.