Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It almost ended up in the scrap pile

It almost ended up in the scrap pile

Back in November, my BIL told me he had a cottonwood tree down on his property up north. He thought it had a big burl on it and asked me if that was something I could use.......ummmm duh .
    Then he said it have been down for awhile and would it still be good. I told him we'd find out when I cut it open.
    In April my sister called and said he'd finally brought it down, so I drove over one day to pick it up. When I got there and saw it, my hopes were pretty much dashed. It didn't look like it had been down awhile, it looked like it had been down for years. It looked like an old, rotted, dried up piece of driftwood. I still had just a glimmer of hope, maybe it looked better on the inside. The glimmer was knocked down several degrees when we went to load it in the trailer, it was a lot lighter than it looked.
    The burl measured about 2' x 2 1/2'.
    2012-05-09_17-39-019.jpg2012-05-09_17-39-035.jpg
    I got it home and unloaded it, and just for kicks I got out the chainsaw and cut it in half, and just as I suspected it was pretty darned rotten. So I gave up on it and left it laying there while I went on to cut up some nice green wood.
    Well, on Friday I was getting ready for the club meeting today, cutting and sealing more blanks and loading the truck, and I decided to take another look at the burl. I saw an area on one half that looked like it might have some decent wood left. So since I had the chainsaw out, I started hacking away at it. I got a couple of chunks with some solid wood, but after cutting off all the crumbly wood, I was left with some pretty misshapen pieces. After loading up the truck I decided to chuck one of them up and see what I could come up with.
    I roughed out a cup shaped ne form and thought I'd turn a pedestal and base. When I reversed it to hollow the inside, I was using my Easy Rougher to establish the wall thickness and knock off the crumblies down the solid wood, and the solid wood was showing some burl figure, so I decided to do a flat topped hollow form.
    This is the 1st time I've done this type of hf and I worried how it would look since i would need a fairly large entry hole in order to reach all the way into the corner of the shoulder. Luckily there was a little inclusion right next to the hole and once I started hollowing, it left a void just big enough for the cutter to fit through when it was set at 90 deg to the bar.
    There was still a little bit of punky wood near the bottom and it would have been better if i could have centered the blank better to get a more consistent rim, but I'm pretty happy with it especially considering it was destined for the trash and luckily the top all held together.
    It's 4" tall at the highest point and 5 1/2" wide. It has a heavy coat of DO so far and I'll probably finish it up with some gloss.
    PICT0003-001.JPGPICT0001-001.JPGPICT0002-001.JPGPICT0004-001.JPGPICT0006-001.JPG

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

good job Kathy

Kathy, first thing I want to say is...FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! I LOVE this form and am looking forward to making it myself. I think the wood looks awesome. Have NO issues with the orientation of higher sides and lower sides. Actually, I think that actually gives the viewer a chance to see the flat top without having to look straight down on the piece. I LOVE the voids and bark. This piece looks like it was done 100 years ago, not yesterday! The only "critique" I would have is that, in the last pic, it looks like the curve on the left side either flattens or maybe even goes back out. Not sure if that is a camera/pic thing or not. Anyway, simply fantastic, Kathy!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Talk about a silk purse from a sow's ear! Nice work, Kathy - and, that certainly doesn't look like cottonwood. Great color.

Beautiful result from following where the wood led.

ooohhhh ooohhhh pic 4 makes me think of an archeological dig... do I luv this? let me count the ways!!!! Magnificent!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Kathy, you always put 100% into your projects and this is no different. I love the design and glad it held together.

That sure was worth the extra effort! Beautiful work!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Kathy,

That turned out very nice. I never through anything away in my wood pile. I usually can find something to do with it. Nice find and save on your part.

Alan

That turned out to be a beauty Kathy. Nice save.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"Silk purse from a sow's ear" indeed! And I have to agree that does not look like cottonwood, at least not the cottonwood I have seen. I spent a large part of my life in Nevada where cottonwood grows profusely and is spurned even as firewood. And I never saw anything like that. Great work!

PS ...love the paper towel!
    David DeCristoforo

its SPLENDIFEROUS

Great piece Kathy. I have only turned one piece of cottonwood and it sure didn't look like that! Beautiful color and work!

Great save, great HF shape, great looking wood and just a great piece! Wonderful job.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Nice save. Great form and beautiful wood. If you had not mentioned cottonwood, I would have guessed oak.