Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wall Hung Tool Cabinet

I supose this explains why we haven't seen too many posts from you in the classified area lately!
    Great job on the cabinet. French cleats? Your popular fronts reminded me of the Hickory Office cabinets I recently finished. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ffice-Cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I supose this explains why we haven't seen too many posts from you in the classified area lately!
    Great job on the cabinet. French cleats? Your popular fronts reminded me of the Hickory Office cabinets I recently finished. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ffice-Cabinets
    Joe, I like those cabinets. I've only worked some with hickory, but I want to use it on more projects.
    My cabinet is attached to three french cleats for support.

Hi Mark,

Very nice! I particularly appreciate seeing the cabinet full and then empty. I follow the Zero Rummage Factor (TM Darrell LaRue) approach, wherein everything is out on the walls, in sight and within reach (well maybe not everything ) I might have missed it, but how have you hung the cabinet? I've used French cleats for my tool panels, but wonder if you've used a more robust method. Photos of some parts of my shop are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1089015...MCA5ePG9dzIvgE

or

http://tinyurl.com/c5tlr2m

Regards,

Dwight
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read." - Marx (Groucho, that is.)

That really looks great! I really like how you designed it so that you could change things around in the future. That's always my hesitation with building/buying nice storage for stuff: What if I change my mind about the stuff I want to store? You've handled the issue really well.

I love how these cabinets use the space so efficiently. I was considering building a floor tool chest like Chris Schwarz has everyone building these days, but floor space is at a premium in my small shop (half of a two-car garage) and those chests just look huge to me. I currently use a full sheet of 1/4" pegboard on the wall opposite my bench, and I like that it uses the wall space but it doesn't use it even close to as efficiently as your cabinet. It's amazing to me how much stuff you can fit in there yet everything is still easy to find and retrieve.

I'm still putting my set of tools together, but once I get more set in what tools are important to me I think I will build a cabinet like this.

D

Mark, very nice cabinet! I may have to steal an idea or two from you for future builds.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Now I am sure my wife needs bifocals.

Peeking over my shoulder, she said - "Now THAT guy is just bragging."
    At first I didn't understand, and thought she meant the quantity of man-toys.

Grasping the misconception, I correct her reading - "It's a WALL hung tool cabinet, dear."

Mark,
    Very nicely designed and executed tool cabinet. I used a similar scheme in my plane till... 12-15 deg and rare earth magnets but with narrow "curbs" between planes and a simple rest at the heels. Your design is much more flexible and many degrees prettier.

Mark, what kind of latch are you using to keep the doors closed? do you like it?
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

It's good that you made it in a way that allows you to reconfigure because you really need more planes. haha.
    It's sufficiently stout..