Thread: Burnout

Burnout

burnt hf 1.jpg
    A piece of very old heart Rimu, turned quite thin, developed a few cracks, filled them with CA which went black on me, so I added a grove top & bottom & burnt the area between.
    Any comments welcomed, thanks for the look
    Pete
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-27-2012 at 5:06 PM.

its very nice, form and save

Looks good to me - I suspect the cracks were actually a good thing as the texturing really adds to the piece. Nice wood, too - had to look up Rimu.

More wow factor if you offer up dimentions Pete! I love everything about this...burn, texture, open wood and a rolled lip. Great piece! Please tell me it's not 3" diameter?!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Apologies Jim, it is about 5" dia x 6" high, started out a bit bigger but kept on chipping of at the top end
    John, this is one of our fabulous Natives, can live up to 1200 1400 years old, (getting pretty rare these days) a much loved timber for furniture, can be a bugger to turn as it burns your eyes & clogs up the throat,
    Thanks Charlie
    Pete

Pete,

Very pretty! When I was a kid people were still using Rimu for framing and under roofing! I rescued some 6" x 1" planks from a house re-roof in Wellington and made cabinets from it! I have a block approx. 8" x 8" x 3" that I bought back from Hasting last Christmas, haven't decided what to make from it yet. Suggestions?
    Kelvin

Kelvin I think the size almost limits it to a small bowl, or maybe a square edge or 2 up 2 down type of turn.
    If it is a real old dried out piece then be patient with the sanding(keep it slow) & you should avoid heat cracks, Old Rimu can be tricky good luck
    Pete

Really a nice looking piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Pete, that is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Stunning--beautiful form, texture, and combination of colors!

Very classy, I imagine it sitting on a fine piece of furniture.

I love design challenges like that. Looks like it was meant to be. Lovely mouth too.

Pete - that sure is a beauty! Love the contrast between the rich natural color of the wood and the burnt area! Also like the design! Reminds me of the ancient reed & clay writings! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!