Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Tall Case Clock

Blog Entries

Philadelphia Tall Case Clock

This is a replica of the Peter Stretch clock (cira 1740) sold at the Walter Jefford's auction (Sotheby's) in 2004.

For the most part I tried to replicate the original as close as possible; however, several items were not present on the original so expect some differentiation to auction photos.

The primary wood is walnut and secondary wood is white pine. Finish is black shellac. Light patination was attempted but not entirely successful. Works is by David Lindow.

It stands at just over nine feet tall and was constructed primarily by neander means. Although not shown, the case back is left rough off a scrub plane. It took about a year of weekends to build.

This is one of those projects that's grown on me. I remember seeing it at a museum and thinking it was more than a little over-the-top, but after working through the various carving elements and watching it come together in the shop, I'm proud to have built one and believe it ranks as one of the better pieces I have completed.

I hope you enjoy it.

FickeJoel_web.jpgDSC_0200_web.jpgDSC_168_web.jpgDSC_184_web.jpgDSC_0150_web.jpg
    Last edited by Joel Ficke; 05-27-2012 at 6:53 PM.

Absoluely stunning work! Gorgeous..Incredible...I have run out of words to describe this piece! Very, very nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is one beautiful piece!
    Well done Joel, really well done!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Even if I had a lifetime of weekends dedicated to woodworking I wouldn't reach your skill level!

Beautiful!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

That is some amazing work. Congratulations on your achievement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Def not my style at all. But one cannot pass by a piece of this caliber and not commend them on the incredible craftsmanship. I really am in awe of the carving details on this piece. Again, not something I would ever make or own but a big WOW is warranted. Really nice work Joel. Very impressive!

As others stated, a lifetime of weekends would be about the time it'd take me to complete something this detailed.

Yikes. Incredible work here. Absolutely incredible. Well done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments all. I know the style isn't going to be appealing to everyone. IMO this clock has little too much English influence. I like the simple elegance of early American Queen Anne and Chippendale pieces but this is out at the extremes especially for a 1740s piece. Would be interesting to know the whole story of it's origin.

Maine Antique Digest did a writeup on the auction and it's a cool read if you're into the whole auction euphoria thing. That aside it also has a nice paragraph on some of the clock details and sets a historical perspective for this clock compared to other well known early American examples.

http://maineantiquedigest.com/articl.../clock1204.htm

I can't say enough good things about the David Lindow movement either. I think he nailed every element of the original Peter Stretch works.
    Last edited by Joel Ficke; 05-28-2012 at 6:16 PM.

Wow, really cool work.. A year of weekends,yikes..

Amazing work! I can't even imagine being able to execute all that carving!

I have a dumb question though, how do you access the face? It appears the columns block the glass frame from hinging open.

Blog Entries
    Hi Brett, your question is a really observant one. It turns out that there aren't any "hinges" on the door. The columns are attached to the door frame and then at the column top there's a nail with the head removed which slides into a matching drilled hole in the bonnet. On the column bottom there's a hole in which a brass rod slides in completely. Once the door is in place and the bonnet tipped upright, the brass rod slides down into a matching hole in the bonnet base and the door can pivot open. To remove the door, the process is reversed. Hope that helps explain how the door is hinged.

OUTSTANDING! (And yes, I meant to shout that... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Only one word can describe this. WOW!!!
    I have often considered tackling a tall case clock, but somehow I don't think it will fit the decor of a home built in 1985. Fine woodworking at its best. Thanks for the peek.

A truly wonderful piece done with fine craftsmanship Joel. Like you, I prefer the less ornate Queen Anne though some of the less flamboyant Rococco also appeals to me. One of the biggest problems I find with contemplating what to build is size. With 7' 10" ceilings a large number of clocks, secretaries, and chest on chest pieces are just not possible unless they are reduced in scale. I take it you have adequate ceiling height? Again, a masterful job.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Wow, that is a wonderful piece of work, Joel. It must be beautiful to see in person.

Very well done, thanks for sharing it with us.

Joe