Thread: Stoppered Bottle #3 (Another Experiment)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stoppered Bottle #3 (Another Experiment)

Since I started turning (a little over two years now) I have flirted with hollow forms. While they have not been a "mainstay" of my efforts, I have always had an appreciation of the sweet forms made by people like andy DiPetro, Keith Burns and many others. I mention Andy and Keith specifically because, while I don't feel that this merits comparison to the work of either, the influence of both is immediately apparent. I have always admired Andy's beautiful forms, so "easy on the eye" almost to the point of being relaxing to view. They don't make demands on the mind, but flow so beautifully. Keith's pieces tend to be more sharply focused especially when topped with his "signature" exclamation point finials.

A while back, David Reed dropped of a couple of pieces of maple burl, one of which was heavily spalted and, on one end, close to rotted. I made a sphere out of the biggest and soundest part of that burl and I still had this piece left. I wanted to try this design but I was (and still am) unsure of it so I did not want to commit anything "precious". I was not sure this burl would even be turnable but it held together OK and even smoothed out fairly nicely.

"Pre-critique" would include making the finial a bit "lighter" but I'm sure that's just a start. I will most likely try a "real one" of these next. I've got just the right piece of wood for it…

stoppered_bottle_3_a.jpg

FWIW it's maple burl (already said that) with a black dyed maple finial. About 5" at the widest point by seven high plus another four for the finial.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-27-2012 at 7:30 PM.
    David DeCristoforo