Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembering Shipmates on Memorial Day...

From one USN vet to another - outstanding thread! Thanks for doing it.

Wally,
    Thank you for your service and for theirs. I will always be grateful for everything you and they have done for our freedom.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Thanks to all that have served and especially those that paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I attempted to join the Air Force for pilot school in the Vietnam war but failed the physical the first day because I was color blind, then was drafted, but failed the physical with a heart murmur. All three of our sons served - one in the Air Force, one in the Marines, and one in the Army. We are proud of them!

Thanks Wally! I know that Memorial Day always meant more to my Grandfathers(Army-WWI) and father (Navy-WWII and Korea) than the general public. I always knew that I was very lucky to have been able to spend time with each of them.

I distinctly remember several conversations we had in bunkers in Vietnam about Wally's generation being America's Greatest Generation. They were much more "deprived" of the support available to us in most combat operations, and their deployments were not defined as were ours, because many of them were in for the "duration of hostilities."

Thanks to all who have served (and are currently serving) to preserve our freedoms. Me and the family celebrated memorial day on Sunday by going to the World War II museum in New Orleans, and adding my Grandfather and two great uncles to the list of WWII veterans at the national museum. Pretty amazing place, and one worth visiting for anyone who ends up in the Big Easy. The piece of seawall from Utah beach in Normandy is probably one of the most understated and powerful pieces in the museum. It was a sobering experience to feel the bullet strikes and realize that good stood on one side, and evil on the other... Only God and the courage of many brave men allowed a victory over the tyranny of evil men.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Wally, a sincere thanks to you and all the men and women who serve or have served our country.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I can't count all the uncle's, grandfather's cousin's who have served for our freedom. I know that my Dad served in the SeaBees in Africa, I wish he was around to tell me more stories of his time.
    I do want to thank aeach and every one of the men and women he have served since the beginning of this GREAT nation, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
    GOD BLESS 'EM.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Wally, thanks for your service and thanks for starting this thread. I also had some of my Navy buddies die in combat. I think of them often and especially on Memorial Day.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Well I'm a day late but want to thank all those that served. Wally my dad served in the Navy in WWII mostly on subs. He is now 92 and getting around better than me and putting out an acre of garden by himself.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Wally, thank you for your service and that of all service men and women, past and present.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.