Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Recommendations

Drill Press Recommendations

I am upgrading from an older Rockwell radial drill press and moving to a floor model. I am considering the Powermatic PM 1800, the Grizzly G7948, and the Jet JDP 17DX. Any opinions on the better one or any I might be overlooking? Thank you.

Rich

Delta 18-900L 18-inch Drill Press with Laser is the best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned. I have this press in my shop and am very happy with it. Do a search on the press’s you are looking at and the Delta will come out ahead in the reviews.
    Good luck in your decision.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard is correct the 18-900L is the best of the $1200 and below presses for woodwork.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If it would only go on sale. Right now it appears as though $949 is the price with you needing to purchase a fence system as well.

Jet 20" - $999 with free shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/354170-JDP-20M...8262999&sr=8-1
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    If it would only go on sale. Right now it appears as though $949 is the price with you needing to purchase a fence system as well.
    Tools-plus has it for 899 free shipping. I would NOT buy that fence, I would spend a little more and get a Lee Valley or Woodpecker table. Read Matt Meiser's (sp?) threads on the Delta.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I bought the Delta 17-950L (16.5"). It has the same table as the 18-900L (which I like), and 3.5"+ of quill stroke. I like the depth adjustment better on the 18-900L and the extra quill stroke, but I didn't take the plunge for the extra money. You can often find the 17-950L on sale for $450 to $500. I made my own fence using 5/16" T-bolts to lock it to the T-slots in the table. I don't think you would go wrong with the 18-900L, but the 17-950L may be an option depending on how much you want to spend.

Mike

Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am upgrading from an older Rockwell radial drill press and moving to a floor model. I am considering the Powermatic PM 1800, the Grizzly G7948, and the Jet JDP 17DX. Any opinions on the better one or any I might be overlooking? Thank you.

Rich

Be cautious, be very cautious of import models. Speaking from personal experience, my import had 12 speeds and the speed change mechanism introduced vibration. The supplied chuck is junk. Table finish is coarsely ground and castings have sharp edges. The table tilt mechanism is secured with a hard to access course thread bolt, which makes holding a specific tilt difficult while securing the bolt . My import never could drill a deep hole without the bit wandering off center.

I finally replaced the import with an older model 15 inch Walker Turner which is superior in all respects.

Older model American made machinery is FAR superior to what is offered for sale today and comes up fairly regularly on various sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Tools-plus has it for 899 free shipping. I would NOT buy that fence, I would spend a little more and get a Lee Valley or Woodpecker table. Read Matt Meiser's (sp?) threads on the Delta.
    I wouldn't heistate to buy the DP again despite Delta's post-sales woes. Odds are if something is going to go wrong with it, it will be out of the box. I did recently have a very minor problem with mine. The nut at the top of the spindle was loose allowing the pulley to slip. Not enough to do do any damage, but I had to tighten it up. Doing so is slight tricky since the spindle turns freely. I ended up smacking the wrench a couple times with a hammer and it seems to be tight enough. I was drilling steel with a 3/4" bit when this happened.

If they are still running rebates prepare to wait and wait. I raised a stink (actually I threatened to contact the atty general after they told me they only had one person doing rebates part time) and finally got mine.

I wouldn't buy the fence again. Its a nice fence but Delta doesn't offer any support for it so if you want two flip stops you have to buy a whole second fence. Shame on me for not checking into that first. What I'd buy instead is parts from Rockler--angle brackets, fence extrusion, and flip stops. Pretty much the exact same functionality, at the same price, but with two flip stops. I want two stops so I can set it up for drilling hinge pockets at the top and bottom of a door without having to change the setup.

Here's a nice used one:
    http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/3037537873.html
    With the money you save on the dp you can spend on gas driving cross country and get a free vacation on the Oregon Coast!
    He also has other equipment for sale.

The 18-900 is the only new woodworking drill press I would consider buying right now. If that were out of my price range, I would be looking for an older, used drill press. I'm still not thrilled out of my mind with the 18-900, and I especially hate that it's yet ANOTHER drill press without a stupid quill lock, but at least it appears as though they mostly leave the factory nice and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    Be cautious, be very cautious of import models. Speaking from personal experience, my import had 12 speeds and the speed change mechanism introduced vibration. The supplied chuck is junk. Table finish is coarsely ground and castings have sharp edges. The table tilt mechanism is secured with a hard to access course thread bolt, which makes holding a specific tilt difficult while securing the bolt . My import never could drill a deep hole without the bit wandering off center.

I finally replaced the import with an older model 15 inch Walker Turner which is superior in all respects.

Older model American made machinery is FAR superior to what is offered for sale today and comes up fairly regularly on various sites.
    I am not opposed to OWWM machines that meet the requirements (which aren't many). I do want a table raising and lowering mechanism and the ability to end drill some longer material on the rare times it's needed. A tilting table is needed as is a variable speed feature. I am near Cincinnati, Ohio. There are a few used tool retailers in the area, but they simply over inflate the cost of tools they get through auctions.

I did happen to go to the Wood Craft today and look at the Delta and the Powermatic. Both had features I liked and disliked. I like the "feel: of the Powermatic controls but the quality seemed lower. You can read the Powermatic table positions much easier. The Delta quill works much better and has a longer stroke. You seem closer to the work with the Delta. The base of the Delta seems far superior to the Powermatic for stability. Neither were hooked to power and the employees said it wasn't allowed. Ultimately, the Delta seems superior and safer because of the base.

You can tit and tat the PM vs Delta all day but the Delta just has better QC based on numerous reports on SMC and other forums. I am a PM fanboy and overall actually likt the PM better particularly on paper, but if you get a Monday or Friday machine you could be in for a "bumpy" ride. For ME the Delta wins on depth control (which is important because neither have a quill lock), quill stroke and table raising/lowering, the rest of the differences I either don't care or prefer the PM. The base is a non-issue to me, the PMs is plenty big enough (compare to most DPs) and if it isn't I will attach it to the floor (which ALL DPs really should be). My plan (unless I find a good price on a PM1200 <thats is a DRILL PRESS) I will likely get the Delta and outfit it with a good table, keyless chuck and set it up for variable speed (3ph motor & VFD), but I am really hoping I can find a good PM1200!

Van,

I have been looking through various ads on the internet for a PM1200. That might not be a good thing though since there is an active thread indicating you're a bad influence. Actually, they seem to be coming in the range of the new Delta and Powermatic presses. I agree that the winner will be a Delta between the two. I am split with tools, some Powermatic (141 & 143 Bandsaws, 719T Mortiser), some Delta (Unisaw, 1160 tilting table saw, 6 x 48 sander, and radial drill press), and some Jet (horizontal bandsaw, shaper, and jointer). There are a few European tools as well, like a Inca 259 table saw. Now I am pondering purchasing more. It's Van's fault.

The deal with the supreme commander is that she gets a garage bay, well actually two but that doesn't happen. Consequently, any tools I have need to be on wheels. The drill press will fall into that category as well.