Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drill Press Recommendations

Powermatic 1150 VS Drill Press Rebuild. HELP

Please note; I have reposted this on a new thread on the advice of a contributor and I am not smart enough to delete this one..

I bought a like new Powermatic 1150 VS serial #8615V167 in 1993 and it served me well until 2005 when the drive sheave assembly was damaged beyond repair because of a loose bolt. I patched it up and it runs, but I cannot adjust the speed and it is very noisy. It is not the most used machine in my shop, so for 7 years I have used it with no speed adjustment along with hearing protection. It does what I need it to do but it is not a joy to use.

I have decided to do something about it. I really was not interested in rebuilding so I went drill press shopping. There is NOTHING new out there under $1500 that can possibly compare to my 1150. The only advantage the new ones have over the 1150 is their table raising mechanisms. This DP has had very little use - it has had a gentle life in my cabinet shop. The way I see it I have to get interested in rebuilding and I have to come up with a table raising mechanism.

I believe my DP was born in 1986. Does anyone have a 1986 manuel?

According to a 1993 manuel, I will need a sliding sheave #2719069, fixed flange sheave #3719177 internal drive shaft #3144006 Where can I get these parts and instructions on how to install them?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate a table raising mechanism?

Guys, your information and advise on this rebuild will be appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 6:53 PM.

Hi Jerry. You probably know this, and I know nothing about US drill presses, but if you're headed down the rebuild road it's maybe worth checking for other stuff that hasn't failed per se - but which is perhaps worn enough to significantly reduce accuracy. Hard experience suggests that the best rebuilds are those that address the entire machine and return a bit of kit to more or less 'as new'. That way there's not other stuff left lurking to cause hassle and frustration down the road.

Some stuff is such that it's not economically possible to replace or refurbish what wears because they comprise too large a part of the cost of the machine. It may still be worth rebuilding, but the cost/benefit versus another machine then needs thinking through.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 07-01-2012 at 9:40 AM.

Jerry, I'd ask a moderator to split this off as a separate thread where it might get more attention.

I'm assuming you've contacted Powermatic about the parts you need? If they no longer have them, you can also try Redmond Machinery, BUT, be persistent. I tried contacting them about some parts and never could get a response to email or voicemail. Someone (Van I think) said that only one person there knows what they've got.

You might also try registering over at OWWM.org/OWWM.com and see if there's someone knowledgeable on that machine. You'll probably find a manual as well, but I doubt you'll find any kind of repair manual. I've never seen anything like that for machinery.

For a table-raiser, you might check the old documentation at OWWM and see if there was ever an option. If there was you might be able to find one with a classified posting, but be prepared for sticker shock. Others have made counterweight attachments or build raisers from trailer jacks. This was one of the bigger complaints I had with a vintage drill press I owned that led me to purchase the Delta 18-900L early this year.

There's no "perfect" drill press as far as I can tell, but you've got one of the ones that's pretty darn close. Its definitely worth some work. Cool storage system by the way!

I replied in the other thread and included the Redmond info, but just in the event this comes up in someones search someday and the other one doesn't you want to get in touch with Scott, not Scotty which is his son (there are three generations working there). If you leave a message and don't get a call back, talk to receptionist (far more than that in real life) and be very nice to her, she can get ANYTHING done, I THINK her name is Connie but don't call her that since names blend together for me. One thing I really like about here is she usually doesn't put you on hold if she is looking something up, she will actually humonce in a while, so it is like elevator music, makes me smile every time. Bottom line these folks are busy and they are often out of the "office".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    i would like a powermatic just for the sheer beefiness of it and to match my bandsaw.
    but i absolutely love the table on the new delta's, tilting in all four directions is just to cool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------