Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your single best turning accessory purchase?

Blog Entries
    In that case DD, I too really like my Glaser screw chuck. In the past, the little ones you attach to a regular chuck kind of scared me. I had visions of flying chunks of wood every time I looked at one of those. I would also have to add, my steady rest from Keith Clark (which now does not work on my PM4224 lathe due to 10 more inches of swing) It weighs a ton but works fantastic.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

My best "purchase"? The Wolverine sharpening jig with Vari-grind. Without it, sharpening would be a chore...which, might, and I say might, make it a deal breaker with turning...I'm not into spending more time learning how to sharpen a tool than using it...

Since I didn't "purchase" it (I made it), I can't chose my circle cutting jig for cutting slabs into circles...works like a charm.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Well, can't choose one. Oneida centralized dust collection system, Laguna 16HD bandsaw, and Robust lathe. CBN wheels are in there as well. Too many good quality turning tools to pick one. I platform sharpen, so no Wolverine for me.

robo hippy

The Wolverine sharpening system including the diamond dressing for wheel which made a quantum leap in sharpening and is used most and the sharp tools made the biggest difference to my turning. The Don Pencil buffing system with 12" shaft has made buffing easy and improved finishing, especially on larger bowls and deeper hollow forms.

CBN wheel here also. It is so smoooooooooooooooooooooth. Got the 180 and planing on the 80 grit.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

The best purchase I have made was the wolverine system and the slow speed grinder. The second (and a very close second) was the SuperNova2 chuck.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

my second lathe,,,,,,,,,,,
    or the new chainsaw
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Stubby Convertible Drive Center.
    Threads on, adjustable, and I've never had it slip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

If we are excluding handtools then I would assume hollowing rigs would be excluded too, because my Kobra system is really the "bees knees". But since it's excluded...

I would have to say I would keep my rubber chucky reverse chucky
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I think my VERSA-FLOW my lungs thank me second the sanders light system LOVE IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I guess I would have to say my Wolverine sharpening system with the vari-grind jig and Woodcraft slow speed grinder. Soon I hope to say the Raptor angle set up tools I just ordered from CSUSA. I can never get consistent angles or the correct angles on my turning gouges (they are on sale right now too ).
    Last edited by Tim Leiter; 06-01-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Quote Originally Posted by joel nucifore View Post
    I think my VERSA-FLOW my lungs thank me second the sanders light system LOVE IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Joel you made me rethink my answer, I just got an 3M AdFlo system, and I don't know how I lived without it!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I really like my Tompkins Gage-it caliper

I also really like my New Edge 2" drive center that fits in my chuck jaws

I use my Kelton calipers a lot but I too would miss my Stubby drive center.
    faust

I have to go with Beall buffing system. I was never really satisfied with my finishes until i got that. Chucks would be high on my list of must-haves.