Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your single best turning accessory purchase?

What's your single best turning accessory purchase?

I know this is a very rich question, and i intentionally am not narrowing it down by category or anything. I'm just curious what you'd say your single best purchase is. Can only pick one...

I'll start: 8" CBN grinding wheel: Let's me sharpen more often, more perfectly, more smoothly, and instantly made me a better turner.

Blog Entries
    My Glaser turning tools. More specifically, my 5/8" gouge or my miniQR's. Don't make me choose. 8-)

Of course one has to have a lathe to begin with. My PM 4224 holds the title as well.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 05-31-2012 at 4:09 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

My lathe, I've sold it now and can't turn....seems to be any essential piece of the turning equation.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That's a tough question...because had I purchased it complete, it would be my Jamieson style hollowing rig and/or my Nichols style steady rest, both of which I made after purchase of a small mig welder and the associated parts.
    So, for me, I'd have to say the mig welder has been the single most important purchase (after the lathe itself). The capability to make various jigs and modifications provides a lot of flexibility in what I do and will want to explore doing.
    If I were to go with the most used accessory (excluding gouges and such) I've ever bought...it would probably be these in order:
    1. Slow speed grinder and Wolverine jig
    3. Jeff Nichols tool rests
    2. Beall buffing system
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Blog Entries
    Nate, I have a Jet 1442 for sale. I can solve your dilemma.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

My best accessory purchase to my Jet 1014, is my Jet 1642 2hp. Nice upgrade.

CBN grinding wheels from D-Way Tools

This is a great thread! Just taking notes here to see what I'm gonna have to go out and get so I can participate the next time it comes around!

Ooo I love these! OK, let's say you can't pick any kind of turning "chisels" because they are more of a "necessity" an "accessory" (sorry Bill...)

So for me it's the Glaser screw chuck. I have lots of "accessories" but if I had to give them all up except one, that would be the one I would keep.
    David DeCristoforo

If we're not talking about machinery and chisels...I probably use my center finder more than any other accessory. Very simple and I could surely manage without it, but as I turn a fair amount of pre-cut round blanks, it makes lining up centers much quicker.

Also, getting a quality set of HSS drill bits has made both turning and general woodworking much easier.

I take it for granted, but I would not want to be without it: my Wolverine system.

Hard question, but if I eliminate gouges, I would go with my Nova chucks or probably my Robust tool rests
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

My UVEX S8500 Bionic Face Shield.

My JoolTool sharpening system. I use the Wolverine system every now and then.

I'd say my 1200cfm Delta DC and my 1400 cfm Laguna ambient air cleaner. My lungs are bad so without these I can't do any woodworking or turning.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.