Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Suggests + Gloat

Question Project Suggests + Gloat

I don't usually plan out pieces, though I wish I had the patience for it, but this time I'm stumped as to what to do with a piece of wood. A few months back for my birthday, my girlfriend surprised me by ordering a few chucks of wood off the internet. While she has learned a great deal about wood and turning as I've started it as a hobby, she really had no clue when it came to buying wood. The piece below is a small (5"x5"x2") piece of Olivewood that she bought me. If you look closely, you'll see that the piece of wood that fits easily in my hand cost $22. Now, I spend a lot more on wood that many do, but there is no way I could justify a purchase like that.

C360_2012-05-31-20-19-59.jpg

My question to you guys is what should I do with this little guy? I really want to use it for something more unique than a shallow little $22 bowl. If one of you found this ridiculously price, yet beautiful piece of wood in your stack...what would you do with it?

Now for the real reason for my thread...the gloat! I kid, I kid.

Went out to see Mike Smith today before he takes his yearly trip out west for the summer. It was a worthwhile trip, as usual. Mike let my girlfriend and I wander around and pick out what we liked for as long as we needed. Today was 90 degrees and humid, so I did put a little rush on things for the sake of my better half. I could honestly hang around Mike's place, look at wood, and have some good conversation all day. This is today's awesomely priced finds.

C360_2012-05-31-20-19-21.jpg

Includes (L to R): Holly, Chestnut, Leyland Cypress, Honey Locus, Red Cedar, Ash, Silver Maple, Mimosa, Claro (don't tell JK), Ambrosia Maple, Big Leaf Maple, Black Locust, Sycamore, Persimmon, Redwood, English Walnut. Needless to say...I like a variety.

Marty, at 5x5x2, the olivewood is a bit small for a full hollow form, but it appears to be figured (hard to tell). I would be tempted to use it as part of a glued up form, with the olive as the top 1/3 - if it is figured. If no figure, then perhaps use it with a contrasting piece of wood (Claro?) for a HF.

Very nice haul on the wood!! I won't make an issue of you buying my Claro stock - this time - but, don't let it become habit! That silver maple came from here - Mike bought the logs while he was visiting and we used a boom truck to load them on his truck - BIG LOGS! I will be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I actually hadn't thought of gluing it up. For Olivewood, it actually lacks a lot of the usual figure you get with that wood. I think it would still contrast well with some Claro. Speaking of...the only reason I didn't feel bad buying it was that the first thing I saw when I pulled up to his shop were two pallets of it taller than me, figured I could grab a few pieces without anyone noticing.

A ring bowl for said girlfriend might be a good choice...
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

+1 on the ring holder, perfect size for that!

"A ring bowl for said girlfriend..."

+2...
    David DeCristoforo

The olive blank is perfect size for some small ring/pill boxes. Threaded or friction fit. Yes, a bit spendy, but I never see that wood out here.

robo hippy

Could always do the bowl from a board trick...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

+3 on all of the above!! My wife works in NICU and can't wear her wedding set at work. I made her a small box (1.5x3.5) from walnut to keep on her night stand. She puts them in the box in the morning and I put them on her finger again when she gets home...kinda like getting married to a cute girl everyday! M&M bowls are also very popular!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

ring bowl for girlfriend? Are you guys CRAZY? We're trying to help him, not get him in trouble! I learned with my wife LONG AGO not to give jewelry holders without jewelry already inside. I can just see it:

"Honey I made this for you".
    (elated, looking inside) "I thought you'd never ask..."
    (deflated)
    (indignant) "What game are you trying to play? You think I LIKE trapsing around sweaty lumber yards with you all day? When are we gonna DO this?"
    (confused) "But Honey, it's OLIVE WOOD! And it cost $22. It shows I really really like you!"
    (defiant) "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring in it."

Marty, just sell the wood on ebay for $23 and give her the extra dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ...Marty, just sell the wood on ebay for $23 and give her the extra dollar.
    Oh yeah, like that's not going to cause any trouble...
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

I bid $25!!! Give her 2 bucks!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Yep, it looks like it was a good day.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I will take them all into consideration.

I do like how Prashun is thinking...we've been together for nearly five years now and a new ring bowl only encourages more rings, something I am far too young to think about.

I am getting the feeling that doing a little gluing up will be the only way to make this chunk worthwhile. Probably a few more months of me sitting on it...

An ash tray? OK me just being a wise guy. BUT, do you guys turn beads? Hand carve beads? Some 25 or 30 mm beads would make a very nice necklace augmented with some select stones of her favorite color. You turn the beads and I'll bore the holes and string them - no charge - just because I can.

Lampwork 2019.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge