Thread: Salvaged

Salvaged

I needed to cut down a fairly large maple on an ATV trail behind the house, it had a hollow at the base 2/3 the diam. of the tree and ready to fall across the trail. After felling the tree and cutting into sections, I found that 2/3 of the inside of the tree was rotted, nothing to salvage here.

Finished cutting it up to move it all out of the way and came home with a few small "maybe" pieces. I ended up getting 7 NE bowls with interesting figure from healed over branch nubs, not a total loss. They're tiny at 2" +/- x 3 1/2" +/-.

This one was Mother Nature's gift, it was large enough for a small HF and the character certainly paid for the chore of cutting up the tree. It's 3" x 3 1/2" and about 1/16" thick, 2 coats of shellac and 10 - 12 coats of WTF,triplee buffed and Ren wax. Mother Nature sure gives us some unique things to turn.

Thanks for looking and feel free to critique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roland,
    No critique here. Beautiful form and finish on a beautiful piece of wood. Nice!
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

mom nature sure blessed you..pretty vase
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful wood Roland!! Couples of things come to mind...looks like a flat spot in the curve near the base...could be my eyes or the two brain cells I have left! With a wider base like this, a little radius on bottom would give a better feel of curvature to the whole piece, not necessarily a narrower base, but a little tuck on the foot may change the lift of the vessel. I think your finish is great!!!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 06-01-2012 at 8:54 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Beautiful wood Roland!! Couples of things come tomind...looks like a flat spot in the curve near the base...could be my eyes orthe two brain cells I have left! With a wider base like this, a little radiuson bottom would give a better feel of curvature to the whole piece, not necessarilya narrower base, but a little tuck on the foot may change the lift of thevessel. I think your finish is great!!!
    Thanks, I do agree that it could have used a bit more curvature towards the bottom, would have been much sweeter. I tried to get too much from this small piece, the dark area way at the bottom is actually decayed and wouldn't allow me to go any further. I had to fill the bottom with epoxy/coffee to fill voids and keep it together. My intent was to keep that bottom dark band to contrast with the other colors, in hindsight, I could have ended up with a smoother curve without it.
    Thanks for the opinions, it helps a bunch!

very nice, Roland

great piece of wood

Lovely form, wood and finish. Very nice!

Nice form, wood and finish Roland. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Roland,
    great job on a great piece of maple ,Your finish choice was WTF. I'm drawing a blank ,what is WTF?
    Greg

Great piece of wood and finish, I like the form.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Roland,
    great job on a great piece of maple ,Your finish choice was WTF. I'm drawing a blank ,what is WTF?
    Greg
    Greg, General waterborne Wood Turners Finish, ought to give it a try. It's starting to get used pretty heavy around here, it's a really versatile finish, low sheen to high luster.

Nice looking vase Roland. The wood and finish is very pretty!

You did good Roland! Nice form and you brought out all the color the wood had to offer! Sure is pretty!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys & gals, appreciate the comments.

That's a wild looking pice of maple. Your form shows it off well...
    David DeCristoforo