Thread: Good source for reasonably priced regulators, at 175 psi

Good source for reasonably priced regulators, at 175 psi

I bought a Ingersol Rand T30 yesterday and there is no place around here that has a regulator rated for a 175psi working pressure, including the place I bought it.

Not a huge ebay fan but I did look a a few pages, and I don't want Chinese junk, but looking to not pay Grainger prices either.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not in the mood for searching today.

Larry

Larry, I've had good success with the Wilkerson brand units that Graingers and McMaster sells. This model from McMaster,
    4959K304 is rated to regulate up to 250 PSI, has 3/4" inlet and outlets, and is only 60 bucks.

Scott.

I never did find that part #, but of course I got looking around and thinking of other possibilities, so.....

I ended up with three Parker [made in USA] 1/2" regulator/filters and a seperate oiler for a dedicated air tool line, one for the spray booth and one general purpose.

I will run a 3/4" feeder line down the middle of the shop and drop out with half to the regulators.

I try to stay out of the McMaster-Carr catalog, for obvious reasons....

Thanks Larry

Larry, you ought to buy a 4918K13 automatic drain valve for your compressor at the same time. It costs about 50 bucks from McMaster. I know what you mean about staying out of the McMaster catalog.....

Glad that you found something.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Larry, you ought to buy a 4918K13 automatic drain valve for your compressor at the same time. Glad that you found something.

Scott
    I already have one.

Larry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-4-5-20...item3363b0512e

Picked up 4 of these because I am tired of squinting at gauges. You are not getting any younger either Scott......

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-4-5-20...item3363b0512e

You are not getting any younger either Scott......

Larry

Indeed....

Along the same general line as the OP, I went out today and the compressor my Dad gave me, read that as hand-me-down, old unit, is leaking air from the regulator. It is coming out of the knob/valve for adjusting the air pressure. Turning all the way in or out did nothing to stop it. The electric switch is built into the top of this piece. I've never seen another unit look quite like this. Any ideas for replacement?DSCN3141 compressor.jpg I can't even tell a brand of compressor this is. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I know what you mean about staying out of the McMaster catalog.....

Scott
    The McMaster site is what kills me the more I poke around it the more stuff I see I want, then they have so many different quality levels of some stuff I turn a few dollar project into a really expensive one. Its kinda like bearings "it would be so cool to have ABEC 7 bearings on my shaft for flap sanding discs"...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    I don't get it. If you can afford a compressor like that you shouldn't be worried about how much you have to pay for a regulator......I'm not trying to be a smart A*# about it but pay the price to get a good one so it's done right............................................. ....

JEFF

Jim

If the switch is still working fine you can save that, but you will have to plumb a new manifold to accept a normal regulator. Its funny that you should ask that because I have a Sears portable with that setup and was looking at it tho other day thinking about what I would do when the regulator quits. Plain old plumbing fitting will work.

Try bleeding off the air and putting pure licquid silicone on the seal that is leaking. If the seal is still intact but dried out silicone can swell it up. Doesn't work all the time but sometimes it does. Also some have a jamb nut tht tightens up the seal like a sill cock. If it has one of that type gently tighten it up until you can't hear the air excaping.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
    I don't get it. If you can afford a compressor like that you shouldn't be worried about how much you have to pay for a regulator......I'm not trying to be a smart A*# about it but pay the price to get a good one so it's done right............................................. ....

JEFF
    I spent too much of my house money on the compressor so I was feeling guilty. Not to worry I ended up spending $425 on regulators and gauges.

Who needs drywall?

Larry

Thanks Larry, I will look at it some more. Odd thing is it didn't leak the day before. All I did was throw the breaker so it wouldn't come on. Then Sunday I couldn't build enough pressure to run my brad nailer. I was just a little dumbfounded. Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Jim

If the switch is still working fine you can save that, but you will have to plumb a new manifold to accept a normal regulator. Its funny that you should ask that because I have a Sears portable with that setup and was looking at it tho other day thinking about what I would do when the regulator quits. Plain old plumbing fitting will work.

Try bleeding off the air and putting pure licquid silicone on the seal that is leaking. If the seal is still intact but dried out silicone can swell it up. Doesn't work all the time but sometimes it does. Also some have a jamb nut tht tightens up the seal like a sill cock. If it has one of that type gently tighten it up until you can't hear the air excaping.

Larry
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If it is leaking that bad, it may be time for more drastic measures. Fleabay has regulators cheap, may be time.

Larry