Thread: Oak burl HF

Oak burl HF

I had a "design opportunity" while turning this; after shaping the upper outside, I drilled into the form and found a large void. There was just enough wood to have part of a bottom. At least I avoided a funnel (this wood has too many holes to be good for a funnel anyway). After adjusting my plans for the form, the result is better than the original idea (although quite a bit smaller). I am looking for feedback on the pryo work near the top. 9" dia x 6" tall
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the hole in top a whole lot better than the one in the bottom Dennis. The form and wood is beautiful and the pyro work is a very nice contrast as well as a very nice design. Perhaps you could have cut a groove to better define the edge of the pryo, but I like the slightly less than perfect border and it matches the triangles this way. It has the look of a very nice handcrafted piece of art!

I like it! I really like the form and all the voids! Great job on keeping this one on the lathe! Pyro work is pretty cool looking! At first I wondered why you would want to burn a burl with all it already had going for it but the design works well and the burned area fits right in with the natural coloring! I think you did really good on this!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like the addition of the pyro work
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great looking piece. I do like the pyro. It goes along with the color and voids.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great piece of wood, Dennis! I think the pyro work is just enough to add to the already great character of this piece. Nice form, too!

Heck of a foot Dennis...and I thought I was having a bad day!!! My only suggestion would be to burn/dye the lip of the opening, the bare ring inside the spikes feels distracting. Other than that...you done really good!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's a great looking burl, Dennis and the form is great. The pyro work seems to fit this piece well, nice job. I'm wondering how a second burned ring at the opening would have looked, just thinking out loud.