Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine jig mounted on mobile platform?

Wolverine jig mounted on mobile platform?

Alright guys I know your getting tierd of me asking questions about my new lathe , ect, but here it goes. I have purchased new grinder, wheels, Wolverine grinding jig,ect. I do not want to dedicate space on my workbench for this PC 8" grinder (thats weighs close to 40 lbs) and Wolverine jig so I've come up with an idea and I want to bounce it off of all of you. I have a craftsman bottom tool box with locking casters that I am not using for anything, I have cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the same size as the top of the tool box that I want to mount the grinder and Wolverine jig to the plywood then attach the entire assembly to the tool box to make my gringing station mobile. I guess I like the idea of bringing my grinder close to my lathe so when my tools need sharpened I dont have to walk across the shop. Just an idea, what do you guys think? Do you for see any problems? I have done some research and cant find where anyone else has done this, help me.

I have that type of setup for my grinder-It is close by for sharpening yet can be moved out of the way for cleaning.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I have very little shop space. I have a 6" Grizzly grinder with a Wolverine jig attached to a plywood base. I keep it on a shelf until I need it. Then I put it on the bench resting on four "bench cookies" to keep it from sliding. It works fine. The only problem I've found is that it wants to tip towards the front, so I have to put something heavy (~5 lbs.) on the rear to prevent that. I could re-make it to avoid that, but I have a workaround and would rather be turning.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

I took the stand from an old belt/disc sander and built a plywood box about 10" high, screwed that down onto the stand, then bolted my grinder onto the box. Put wheels on the stand, built a shelf inside the open area of the stand, and now I can roll it all over the place if needed along with lots of storage for all the additional stuff. Works great and keeps more room on my bench to clutter with more junk!

I made a cabinet that rolls for all my sharpening tools and drawers and works great. Can move it, or not. I only wonder about the height? My Craftsman tool box is not tall enough for your use without doing a lot of bending over and gettind old enough, I start watching that. If you have one of the taller boxes, it should work great and drawers to put all your asessories in close by. Go for it!

Denny I see no reason that it won't work just fine. I have two grinders and wolverine setups mounted on a roller stand and it works great. One word of caution though, Hot grinder sparks and dry wood lathe shavings don't play well together. They can start on fire. Just watch it.

Steve

If it is the right height I don't see a problem. Sounds like it will work fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tools on a mobile base are an old method for dealing with not having enough shop space for every tool to have a dedicated space of its own. Make a cabinet out of it for holding tools, chucks, abrasives, face plates, etc.

robo hippy

Thats how mine is set up. I had to get kne of those two drawer middle chests to get the height right. Lots of storage also.

Many turners advise having the grinder the same height as your lathe. If the lathe is right height, the grinder will be right height also. I mounted my WC slow speed grinder on a 2x10 scrap. The weight of the grinder keeps it steady so I can just pick up the grinder and wood base if I need to carry it somewhere.
    God is great and life is good!

Mine is on a rolling cabinet with locking casters that I made for a router table before the vortex grabbed me. I built a platform to lift the grinder to lathe spindle height. It works great. Here is a picture that includes the grinder stand in the background.
    grinder station.jpg

12. I use the same concept for my sharpening.........only I made the cart from plywood scraps and use the drawers for my gouges.

IMGP3097.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

So if I understand you guys right, it sounds like the top of the grinder should be the same height as the top of headstock of the lathe? Or at least close to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    So if I understand you guys right, it sounds like the top of the grinder should be the same height as the top of headstock of the lathe? Or at least close to it?
    Not necessarily headstock vs grinder. More that you would grind at the same level you turn. The height of your lathe tool rest and that of the grinder tool rest being the same. Grinding your chisel or turning with it, same general height.

I have my grinder setup mounted on a piece of plywood that I'm able to move onto the countertop that adjoins my lathe. It has a couple toggle clamps that secure it in place and I can remove it store it on a drawer type slide out under the counter when I need my counter space for other functions.

Clint
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 06-04-2012 at 7:20 AM.

My wolverine was mounted onto your standard heavy steel grinder stand. I then mounted wheels to the stand making it portable. Very small shop footprint.

Your idea of using the tool chest is a good one. Drawers for tools, blanks, pen parts, glues, sandpaper, etc.. and the top for the grinding jig and working surface.

I was planning to do the same thing...

Good Luck w/ your choices.

Joe