Thread: Where can I find perpendicuar pressure clamp [alias PW667]

Where can I find perpendicuar pressure clamp [alias PW667]

Been looking for a clamp called a perpendicular pressure clamp; the one seen was numbered PW667 on Peachtree and Amazon. Item can be used for applying pressure to the center of glued up panel by transferring load from a bar clamp across the panel, just what I need to build the panels for a future tv/stereo center (or could buy console at store but what fun is that). Hopefully someone will know where this clamp is available. A few clamps could be modified to serve this purpose, but they were rather pricy...or could fab from a few heavy bolts and nuts, but what then to do to help the economy [[[psssst...buy the console]]]. Has anyone seen this or an equivalent. The clamp lookes like this:

pw667.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 06-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Commonly used for edge application. You could use a caul across two panels. Woodcraft, woodworkers supply, and harborfreight have carried them. Bessey makes some too. If you want the ones in your picture search Bessey 5-2 or kt5-2.

823-633.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Here's a single point clamp at Grizzly. Here's the double. They look pretty handy.

I'm wondering what the purpose of that clamp is in a panel glue up application? I can't imagine what that clamp could possible do for you that a few well placed shop made cauls would not do better? If you were making a sort of micro veneer press can understand the utility, bot for a basic long grain edge glue up, I'm stumped? Others have told you where to get them, I'm wondering why to get them?

I would save my money and use clamping cauls. Go to Mike Henderson's site where he has a tutorial showing how to use and make them. They have been a God send to me.

Learn how to make and use curved cauls and you will not need that clamp ever. I have 6 of those clamps and rarely need them with curved cauls which don't seem to be well known or understood. The goal is to do more with less not purchase tools you don't need! Work smarter! 40 years of commercial shops and problem solving is what I do now...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Learn how to make and use curved cauls and you will not need that clamp ever.
    Not quite true but, a good statement as to the usefulness of curved cauls. For the work you describe I would go with cauls. I have several of the single and double "edge clamp" doo-jobbers and they can be quite handy. I only use them about once every couple of years but, am glad to have them. Cauls get used much more often.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 on the cauls.

But then - eventually, the cauls are too short. A dozen years with 32" shop-made HM cauls [mine are tapered, not curved], and then a 44" wide table top. It was only the final joint in the center of the table that was a problem, of course. That is my [a] clamping assistant, who is [b] a neighbor, who [c] comissioned the table. Not only did he have to pay for the glue up, he had to volunteer as well.

The cauls are in their normal position, with a groove straddling the glue line. Then, small hardwood blocks at the ends of the cauls, to transfer the clamp pressure through the 2 x 4 stringers to the ends of the cauls where the clamps would normally sit.

Took one great big darned lot of clamps.........but I was in no danger of running out........

Table Top Glu-up.jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Chris, if you still want THAT clamp, I am pretty sure Peachtree still has those even if they aren't on their site anymore. I bought a couple in February when I was in Atlanta.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have several bow clamps and they work great.

Thanks for the tip on the Grizzly clamps...did not even think of them. Agree cauls work well and cheapest, but had case not long back that cauls were not the answer. Knew that I could count on you guys to provide your ideas...thanks.

You can drive shims under your clamps as well. Works better if you are using 3/4" pipe clamps.