Thread: Adjusting Delta mortiser's fence

Adjusting Delta mortiser's fence

I have assembled a Delta mortiser and discovered that the fence is way out of square. In order for me to square it up, I had to add a 1/16" thick piece of metal in the back and wedge it all the way up. The manual has no instructions on how to adjust the fence. Is my mortiser defective or is this "normal".

Delta_mortiser-back (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Berkovsky View Post
    I have assembled a Delta mortiser and discovered that the fence is way out of square. In order for me to square it up, I had to add a 1/16" thick piece of metal in the back and wedge it all the way up. The manual has no instructions on how to adjust the fence. Is my mortiser defective or is this "normal".

Delta_mortiser-back (2).jpg
    i would say with the quality level of todays offshore produced machines this is what one can expect...maybe delta will replace the part for you.

Return it, no excuse for manufacturing this slipshod.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Return it, no excuse for manufacturing this slipshod.

Rick Potter
    A little too late for returns. This is the first time I tried to make a mortise since I bought it 3 years ago. Lesson learned. I will be calling Delta tomorrow to see if they can send me a new fence.

dscn2178.jpg

I'd return it mine was dead square

Mine was out the same way, I took it off and machined it square on my milling machine. The wedging doesn't work because when you lock down the fence, it pulls the bottom of the fence flush with the table. If you don't have the means to rework it yourself, return it for one that is square.

Just spoke with Delta tech support. In a nutshell, they said that the unit is out of warranty and there is nothing they can do. They suggested that I take the unit to a local service center and have them look at it. My agument was that I am not asking for a new motor, the defect is in the fence not being milled square. I was told that it makes no difference - the item is out of warranty period. I will take the mortiser to a service center and hope for the best.

When this gets around, it will cost Delta some sales. This is unexcuseable. Try going to a supervisor, and then write an E-mail to Delta with the picture.

Fight it, you are in the right.

Rick Potter

I understand warranty work. BUT, if you're the original owner, then they should have done something to improve customer service better. Sometimes calling back and talking to someone different might get you a little more resolution. Sucks you have to take it somewhere and get it fixed though.

Don't let it discourage you too much though. Once you get it right, you'll have square holes in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    When this gets around, it will cost Delta some sales. This is unexcuseable. Try going to a supervisor, and then write an E-mail to Delta with the picture.

Fight it, you are in the right.

Rick Potter
    Rick,
    I spoke with another person and was told to go to a local service center for them to take a look. I will go there today and see what they say. If they refuse to replace it free of charge, I will start sending emails.

Spoke with the North East region rep about the problem and had no luck getting it replaced for free. The best offer I got was to pay for it at 50% off which I agreed to ($33 including shipping).

While at the repair center, they were clearing out PC Omnijig templates (16" and 24") for $25 each. I figured if I don't use it, I can always sell them.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/7724...emplate/T22073