Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pipe clamp pads fall apart after one glue up.

New pipe clamp pads fall apart after one glue up.

I ordered up 4 sets of my favorite pipe clamp stand-up pads from Grizzly, and did one glue up. They were not up to the task and cracked, split and some fell off the pipe clamps! Maybe the makers of this clamp pad tried to maximize profits by switching production to the gummy bear factory.

Here's a picture showing a few of these. In the back is a the same type pad which as been in use in my cabinet business non stop for 10 years. I have a dozen of these, and not a single failure.

Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm starting to feel like it's the 70's again, where poor quality products and lack of quality control was commonplace.

I'm posting mostly for the giggle value, but also hoping someone might suggest an alternative product for standard 3/4" pipe clamps.

I'll drop Grizzly a note too, suggesting they relabel them for one time use only.
    Attached Images Attached Images

it will be cheaply to use foam tape everytime that you use the clamps

I bought some Rockler pipe clamps and the ROCKLER! pads that 'go' with them and they split apart the same as yours. Pathetic.

I've given up on pads and always use a wood strip between the clamp and the edge being clamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I've given up on pads and always use a wood strip between the clamp and the edge being clamped.
    Although I almost never use pipe clamps anymore (haven't had issues with my parallel clamps) this is my solution for pipe clamps also.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I cut some wooden pieces and with a groove the same width as the jaw and then hot melt glued them in place. They stay pretty good and are easy enough to replace. I made some extra stock so I would have it for replacements. However, whenever I need it, I can not find it.

Thanks guys,
    Good ideas, though half the advantage to the pads I like is they provide a great, stable base and you have enough room to spin the crank on a table. Inserting a wood strip is something which would drive me nuts after so many years of not needing to do it.
    (funny how small things matter when you do it for a living....)

Blog Entries
    The direction they broke looks like the jaw was backed off while the pad had weight on it and wasn't allowed to move with the jaw? Seems like this would happen to any of the versions of these items I have seen now that I see the failure(?). Anyone have experience with other makes? What happens when you back the jaw off?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The problem is what they are made of. They are a vinyl type plastic that doesn't have enough give.

I have some old hard rubber clamp pads that will last forever because they are flexible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    The problem is what they are made of. They are a vinyl type plastic that doesn't have enough give.

I have some old hard rubber clamp pads that will last forever because they are flexible.
    Ah, that makes sense. They can flex enough to loosen the grip and remove the item being clamped, yes?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Someplace I found a sheet of rubber about an eighth of an inch thick. I cut pads from it and gorilla-glued them to the clamping faces. I don't get the stand function you want, but at least the rubber never breaks.

McMaster-Carr carries rubber sheets of varying durometers as well as other materials.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I always use wood strips myself, but have you considered gluing felt or leather strips to the clamps?

I don't use pipe clamps much, but when I do, I use this kind of pad.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Pipe...gle%2Bproducts

They are sort of rubbery, so they don't crack. However, they don't have the "feet" that you like, and tend to fall off and disappear. I know I have fewer now that I originally did.

Forgive me, as I don't always appreciate it when others just tell me to make something when I am looking for a solution, but it seems that a little shop time would result in the marriage of wood strip and legs - just cut some blanks of similar shape out of wood and drill a hole through them - slide them over the pipe between the pads and hot glue one to each pad. You get wood between the clamp and the project, and can make them tall enough for your purposes.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.