Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Mosaic"

John, I really like this leaf style a lot more than what was on "Blue on Blue". The more complete coverage with black separations looks like sgraffito. Did you use sodium sulfite to patinate the copper foil? Also, did the WTF change the colors of the patination much when it was applied?

Great job!
    Way south of most everybody...

Beautiful piece John! The form looks perfect to me and the dye job and finish are fantastic. The bead details look great as does the patinated (is that a word?) leaf.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I'm totally impressed the finish on this piece looks like a custom paint job on a metal surface or like Curt said glass. The fade from one color to the other is extremely good rivaling an airbrush likely not so easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mueller View Post
    John, I really like this leaf style a lot more than what was on "Blue on Blue". The more complete coverage with black separations looks like sgraffito. Did you use sodium sulfite to patinate the copper foil? Also, did the WTF change the colors of the patination much when it was applied?

Great job!
    Dave, I used sodium sulfide and barium sulfide on the leaf, and sealed it with spray shellac prior to application of the WTF. I doubt the WTF would remove the patina, but this wasn't the time to try that! I need to see what happens on a test piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    ...I just have a hang up with covering everything 'woody' about the wood.
    Curt, I do understand this and agree, in part. This piece of BLM was absolutely plain Jane. It had virtually no color variation and no figure. That is probably why it lost the wood look so easily with the dye and other applications. I promise I won't adulterate every piece of wood I touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Chase View Post
    I'm totally impressed the finish on this piece looks like a custom paint job on a metal surface or like Curt said glass. The fade from one color to the other is extremely good rivaling an airbrush likely not so easy to do.
    Tim, the dye was applied with an air brush.

Rick M., I used Transtint for the lemon yellow and bright red - both dissolved in DNA. The carmine red was Procion dye, and was dissolved in water.

Amazing piece, John! The color and finish are just stunning and I think the leafing is your best yet. Sort of agree with those that suggested bringing the leaf a bit lower on the form. Not sure it would be better but would be interesting to compare.

very nice, like the form and the copper, piece is more scupture than woodturning with that finish, well done

John - first thing I noticed was the form! Very well done! Next thing is the color - it really pops out at you! Next is the leaf patination - and I think this time that it all came together and created an almost jewel-like surface! Very nice! I am usually not a big fan of beads because they break the flow of the curve but in this case - they work! I like how the beads are almost flattened and while providing a border - do not break the external curve of the vase!

Very nice work John!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John,

Nice piece. You are making progress on the patination process. This one looks nicer than the last. One tip on the sodium sulfide. You need to to remove the chemical from the surface before you get to the color you are looking for. It is kind of a guessing game but if you know you get the color you are looking for in 13 sec. then you should take the chemical off at about 10 sec. It will continue to 'burn in' after that. You probably already know all of this but just thought I would throw it out there.

~Todd

Just a correction on my prior post. I was incorrect in calling the patination chemical "sodium sulfite". It is "sodium sulfide" or Na2S as John correctly stated. Just wanted to clarify that in case someone ordered the chemical to try patination.
    Way south of most everybody...

I've looked at this a few times today and I still can't think of what to say..the colors vibrant..the copper leaf is very neat..but maybe it's my monitor, but the color of the bowl is orange, so the copper clashes horribly. I'm going to assume that my monitor is at fault..gorgeous shape ..love the copper (which looks like brass here!)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

John,

This treatment would work very well on creamation urns. Elegant, but not overly dressy.

You should make a book.
    This piece is (yawn), like all yr pieces, stunning.
    I aspire to that color and that curve.

This one is eye candy from top to bottom! Enough said.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

This is an absolutely gorgeous work of ART, John. Don't know what else to say but WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    In my quest to conquer the leaf patination concept, I turned to finish this vase from a large piece of very plain big leaf maple that was still wet. Amazingly, it didn't move any that I could tell. The mouth of the vase spun true through the end of the task. It is 5" wide x 7.5" tall, airbrushed with lemon yellow from the bottom, carmine red and bright red from the top, with black over sprayed, followed by black lacquer. The leaf is copper.

Kind of a plain vase form, I think, but it was really done as another attempt at the leaf application. Finish is General WTF.

As always, your comments are welcome.

Attachment 233583 Attachment 233582
    wonderful ... John appears on its own light ... .. I want to sell my lathe ... ...