Thread: Steady Rest Recommendations

Steady Rest Recommendations

I'd be grateful for some steady rest recommendations. I'm not up for building one, I'm working 60+ hours a week these days and prefer to spend my free time either comatose or turning. Plus, I just can't get into building my own tools. Always thinking about what I could be making/turning instead.

Prefer it to be nice and heavy duty, ready to withstand the rigors of larger forms and the inexperienced hollowing technician who will (hopefully) be creating them. I'll be using a laser, either on a Monster or a Kobra, so something that doesn't interfere with that will be a must. I'd really, really prefer there not to be a crazy wait list on it. It seems like anything I'm interested in these days has a multi-week or multi-month wait list. Couple weeks? I can deal.
    Last edited by Jeremy Leasure; 06-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.

A big thumbs up for Jeff Nicol's steady rest. It's very heavy duty and Jeff is also a member here...and a nice fella too! I have one and it works great.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I checked him out a few months ago and again today, but his website still says he isn't making them anymore.

For the money if Jeff was making them they are top notch. I love mine. You might give Jeff a call. He may not have had time to change the website.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If you are interested here are the plans for a Jeff Clone that looks very good. I have not made one myself yet but it is in the want to do list.

http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/plan...20by%20JDC.pdf
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

i use the oneway bowl steady rest, i use it on bowls and hf s, you can use a lazer with it

Carter products is introducing one this weekend at the symposium. If you go might be something to check out.

I like my Oneway. I only have the wheels to use it as a bowl steady because I don't have need for a spindle steady. It only supports two sides of the form but for my projects that has been sufficient.
    faust

If you can't get a Jeff N. rest, I'd reccomend Robust. I have one, it's nice. Pricey though. They also make curved ones now. You can get them from CS USA. Probably no wait. I don't have experience with the OneWays, although Im sure theyre nice as well.

For a Very Heavy Duty thick steel, Steady Rest with Industrial wheels & bearing, ( not light duty skate board wheels & bearings everyone else uses ) Check out Advanced Lathe tools Steady rest. I have one & it's built like a tank . There only available through www. thesandingglove.com
    At least go to the web site & check them out.

Yes John Smith is right Carter Products will have a new Hollow Steady at the AAW in San Jose. If you are attending you will get a chance to see it and maybe use it. They have a product that is very versatile and can easily go from lathe to lathe. If you are not going to San Jose you can contact me after the symposium and I will send photos and info

Ron Brown has a terrific steady rest of phenolic coated baltic birch cut on a C&C router. I don't see a picture on his website but I would contact him at http://coolhammers.com/ He sells them here also http://www.woodline.com/p-2608-steady-rest.aspx
    God is great and life is good!