Thread: older sorby bowl gouges?

older sorby bowl gouges?

If anyone's bee keeping tabs on my recent posts, you might have gathered that I like to pick up antiquey woodworking/woodturning stuff at garage sales. This weekend, I found another cool old lathe for peanuts - a Myford ML8. Some surface rust, and the motor pulley needs a collar, but otherwise in good shape. But, the coolest part of the deal for me was the box of tools that came with it.

It's a more-or-less complete set of turning tools, with matching turned handles, and came in a folding carry box with the previous owner's name on it. Some of the tools are shop made. - the large scrapers are from old files. I bought it because I thought it was a funky old collection that could be cool to own.

When I got home, though, I realized that there were 3 older sorby bowl gouges in the set - they have "robt sorby sheffield" stamped on the shaft/tang. They are the 3 left-most tools in the main section of the case. Score!

So, I now have a couple of questions:

- are the older sorby gouges as highly regarded as the newer ones?
    - I'm guessing these would be carbon steel rather than hss. Is there any way to tell?
    - what sort of grind are these most suited to?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

You done very well great score.

You can tell HSS vs carbon steel by touching it it to a grinder. Carbon steel will make a shower of sparks, HSS barely sparks at all. The grind on the one in your first picture looks quite usable as a bottoming gouge (cleaning up bowl bottoms), the second looks like it'd work alright rolled over on it's side, but might work better with a bit of the wings taken off. Just my thoughts, no expect here =)

Thanks for the tips. is there any reason not to put an Ellsworth-type grind on these?

And, is there much difference in quality between these and newer sorby gouges (besides having to grind more often)?

Thanks again

1st one looks like a spindle roughing gouge, not for use with faceplate/bowl work

fantastic buy, really like the box, good gloat

Back in the late 70's that Myford lathe was consider a Mercedes. It should run like a Swiss watch. They made an outboard setup for it,but it was limited by hp. And lack of a lower speed. The gouges are carbon steel and you would really have to go easy if trying to put swept back grinds on them.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Grinding sparks from carbon steel are white with a little twinkle at the end, and HSS sparks are more orange and straight. It appears that all these old tools are carbon, and more of value for a collector than a user.