Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not just a Sphere

Not just a Sphere

I haven't turned a thing all week, until Saturday. I've been busy with some household chores, including a broken water main which required me to dig a 4' deep hole to get to it , and cutting and sealing lots of blanks. By Saturday, I couldn't take it anymore and had to get a turning fix .

I've been thinking about turning one of these for a couple weeks and yesterday just seemed like a good time to give it a whirl.

Mesquite sphere box, 3 1/4". Finish is 1 coat of Antique oil so far. I just picked up the AO last weekend and I really like it on mesquite. It pops the grain nicely and dries fast (at least it does here where the humidity is in the single digits).
    Instead of turning a flat on the bottom (I wanted it to stay a full sphere), I turned a little "donut" for it to sit on.
    PICT0008-001.JPGPICT0009-001.JPGPICT0010.JPGPICT0007.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Now, that is an accomplishment!!! Extremely well done, Kathy, and great idea with the donut.

Well done Kathy. The box is a nice touch. I can relate to the water line, only mine was 6 1/2' down.

I like it! Great job on keeping the grain aligned!! Looks pretty cool!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

great piece, good idea for the donut

water main----what a mess, had to redo gravel driveway, then had to add dirt from backyard....by wheelbarrrel.....at least the grass grew back ok

Outstanding, Kathy.

Great looking "sphere box". I had to look twice to see the line between the two halves. The "donut" is a good idea but I think it's too big. I have been messing with making clear bases out of plexi that would keep the sphere from rolling around but not be so conspicuous.
    David DeCristoforo

Dang, Kathy, that's really nice.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Excellent job, Kathy and the AO does seem to do the mesquite justice. Thanks for posting this beauty!

Wow. That's some fine grain-matching work. Very nice.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Awesome "sphox" Kathy. Beautifully done.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Great job Kathy, Looks to a perfect "sphere". I can't even see the line on the two halves in the first picture. Also the grain alignment is excellent, and the donut is a nice touch.

Sorry about the broken water line, the last one I had was in the winter in the middle of an ice storm.

Kathy, the sphere is very well done and the box is very well done, the combination is excellent. Great Job!!!!

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Thank is super cool Kathy. When the two pieces are assembled you can hardly see the joint line! I like the ring base idea, but agree with David that I would like to see a thinner ring. Awesome!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

when you dig for the water line, did you remove the dirt, all sand or rocks? sand are the easier to remove but will fill the ditch with the worker in it, nice donuts but I doubt that I could eat one