Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have another dumb question.

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

I have another dumb question.

When do you use "what" glue. Yellow wood glue, Titebond III, polyurethane/Gorilla snot glue, epoxy. What do you use on outdoor projects? What do you use on everyday indoor projects. When is the appropriate use for polyurethane glue. You helped me so much with my dumb ROS disks question, so I figure I ought to show my full range of ignorance.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I use yellow glue for just about anything interior related. I use epoxy for some things which require excessively long glue up times. I have not yet found a good use for Poly glue, I personally hate the stuff and can usually find something else that will do the job just as well. I don't do exterior stuff so I'll leave that one to the others.

good luck,
    jeffD

I use Titebond III 95% of the time I also use Titebond Dark for woods like walnut you just can't see the glue line. I guess for me I just don't see a need to switch from one to the other, Titebond III works for everything so why switch.

I mainly use Titebond II and use Titebond III if I need a longer glue up time. Titebond makes a ton of varieties now.
    Don

I use hide glue for inside projects. One can buy liquid hide glue by Tightbond at Woodcraft. Google hide glue and read about its attributes.

I use titebond II inside, and titebond III outside. However, I usually do outdoor furniture (the 3-4 pieces I've made) with screws as well.

I use epoxy for some chair joints or when I need really long open time. I also use it as a filler for knots and voids in slab work. For small or purely cosmetic filling, I don't mind using 5min set epoxy. But for structural, I use the slow set System 3 stuff.

I use CA for stabilizing cracks in turned pieces.

I don't use polyurethane glue.

I usually use super glue on my fingers and Titebond on my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post

To funny, we have much in common.
    Tim

I use Tobasco on my fingers, typically just before inserting contact lenses.

I use Tightbond III, indoors and out.
    My garden bench is entirely assembled with TBIII - four month's outdoors, no delaminations.

Titebond II indoors, Titebond III for outdoors or indoors.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

When is the appropriate use for polyurethane glue
    I opened a small bottle a couple years ago and closed it back up and stuck it on my desk. Once the air hit it, the humidity must have activated it. The stuff cured hard in the bottle and has a big semi goo - semi bubble of air in the center. I cut the plastic bottle away from it and use it as a paper weight.

Having once used the smelly. messy, God-awful stuff as an adhesive and vowing to never do so again - I believe the paper weight thingie is the most appropriate use for the stuff. It's rather on the expensive side for that though....

For general all around use, I use Titebond II.
    I did score a couple bottles of Elmer's Waterproof PVA @ a closeout store though for about a buck apiece for a pint size.

For shop jigs, I use Elmer's School glue. It's cheap (free in most cases during the Fall going back to school sales) and holds as well as anything else for that purpose.

When is the appropriate use for polyurethane glue.

Polyurehane works well for bonding dissimilar items such as plastic or metal to wood. Works well for gluing tubes into blanks for pen turning. I also use it for gluing PVC trim boards. Used to use it for building laminated fish net frames, but now primarily use Titebond III for that purpose. If it gets stiff, a quick shot in the microwave thins it nicely for use.

Clint

I use Titebond III for everything. I used Gorilla Glue for one outdoor project but that was before Titebond III.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Hey, so do I
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have several glues on by bench (and yes, I do have several glues ON my bench too).

My "go-to" glue is Titebond II Extend. It gives me plenty of open time to get everything in place and positioned just right before clamping.

If I want something to tack quick and dry fast, I use Gorilla yellow glue.

For outdoors I use Titebond III and for dark woods like walnut I use Titebond Dark.

For those "drippy spots" and hard to clamp small pieces and moldings I keep a bottle of Titebond Moldings on hand.

I do also have some Gorilla Poly that I use almost exclusively for bent laminations. Sitting right next to the Poly is a box of T-88 Epoxy.

Lastly, I have a dusty bottle of Titebond Melamine because I needed it once.

OH... I almost forgot; of course I have the obligatory bottle(s) of Super Glue.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty