Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ellipse Like Sugar...

Ellipse Like Sugar...

I'm making an elliptical top coffee table for my sister. I'd like to be able to cut the top without having to invest the $$ to buy a router jig or the time to build one.

Is it possible to draw this with the pencil/two-pin/string method and then free hand it on the bandsaw? Anyone have a better method?

Perhaps I should do this on 1/4" hardboard and then route to the template?

Kudos to anyone who gets the above reference...

Draw on the 1/4" hardboard with the 2 pins and string. Bandsaw, and rasp/sand to line.

Screw hardboard to underneath side of top, and free hand on bandsaw. Don't color inside the lines.

Finish with top-bearing router bit using hardboard as template.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You might want to distinguish between an ellipse and an oval. The ellipse is a tightly-defined mathematical shape. An oval is more loosely defined, and can be kinda elliptical. If you need a true ellipse, well, you've got to construct it carefully with a jig or the like. If an oval is good enough, and if you're using solid lumber, yes, you can draw it freehand or any other means you like, cut it with a bandsaw or saber saw, and belt-sander it to clean up the saw marks. Then you ROS it to clean off the belt-sander scratches, and you're good to go.

Me, I think true elliptical tables look too pointy on the ends. I like to make the oval less pointy.

..but you're gonna have to 'splain the sugar thing...

Is that "Lips like sugar. Sugar kisses" by Echo and the Bunnymen?
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

Thanks for the advice; hardboard template it is.

Yes, Echo and the Bunnymen. 80's teenagers of the world, UNITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    ..but you're gonna have to 'splain the sugar thing...
    I'm w/ you Jamie. I was a teen in the 70's.

Depending on the size of the eclipse and radii involved it may be easier to cut the template with a jig saw IME, than fair the curve by sanding' then routing.

Okay, I just got the joke.

Only make a quarter template. You can flip it to get other quarters, and they all will be the same.

For a one-off I'd definitely do this freehand, either with a bandsaw or good quality jig saw, the latter probably easier for a biggish table. With either, if you cut carefully cleanup shouldn't be too onerous.

I like freehanding on the bandsaw and then cleaning up with hand tools. The problem is this is a fairly formal looking table, so I want the edges crisp. Personally, I think it'll be easier to fair a 1/4" hardboard template "perfectly" vs a 7/8" ash panel.

Bruce, why do you recommend a quarter template? Doesn't seem any easier than making a full one...?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Personally, I think it'll be easier to fair a 1/4" hardboard template "perfectly" vs a 7/8" ash panel.
    Also - easier to fair a mulligan, or two, on the hardboard............not that you nor I would ever need that option in reserve.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd also go with the template routing method since as mentioned, it's easy and "cheap" to futz around with some 1/4" hardboard or MDF for awhile to "get it perfect". You also end up with a reusable template for the future if you choose to keep it around. And as you probably have experienced or observed, a template-routed shape gets you much closer to a finished product without having to balance a heavy workpiece against a stationary sander, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am not sure you can get to the link but Pop Woodwroking had "How to draw an ellipse" it takes you step my step.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...20&rid=3259415

Prashun,
    I agree with the others that the template idea is the best if you are only doing one of these. I am in the process of making an elliptical coffee table and matching side table(but smaller ellipse) and so I spent the $s to buy a jig from Woodhaven. I needed it to cut patterns for aprons as well as top. It is a nice set up, but after seeing how it works, I think you could buy the parts and make it pretty quickly. Just another $.02 worth.

Jim

2012-03-06 18.58.42.jpg