Thread: Electric lift desks - hardware?

Blog Entries

Electric lift desks - hardware?

Has anyone tried to build a desk with electrically adjustable height features? For example, an Anthro desk. Would a linear motor work for this kind of application or would it eventually sag?

I have one here that I didnt build and it works on actuators. I once looked them up online and they were $500 for the pair. Mine is heavy duty on a table thats about 24x84. I love having the ability to bring it up to TS height or to bring it down low for sanding taller boxes etc.
    Mine the legs lower down over each other with sheaths covering the leg, maybe 2-3 per leg.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Craig. Do you recall what size/strength actuators were used? Does it seem like the legs are in some kind of sliding mechanism (i.e. ball bearing glides, etc.) or are the leg tubes just friction fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Thanks Craig. Do you recall what size/strength actuators were used? Does it seem like the legs are in some kind of sliding mechanism (i.e. ball bearing glides, etc.) or are the leg tubes just friction fit?
    I dont know cause you cant see inside the tubes but I can look into the name for you a little later today. If I remember they were 500lb each I think, I bet the table weighs 200lbs. I built a wood top on it thats hollow underneath to raise the height about 6 inches. I know its a European company that makes mine. Found it on CL in mint shape for $100

Greg,
    I too am interested in this subject. Here is a link for the lift actuators. I could not find a cost, but typically the electric desks run around $750 to well over $1000
    Victor

http://www.linak.com.br/corporate/pd...ochure_Eng.pdf
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

http://www.bucherhydraulics.com/3498...cts/index.aspx
    I'm unsure of what you think would sag...
    You can get the lifts hand crank. electric or hydraulic.

For many years I had an adjustable desk made from an electric drafting table. Very strong mechanism. I sold it recently for $25 because I have another larger one that is hydraulically adjusted. You might search craigs list for something similar.

Ted has the right idea. Look for a used Mayline "Futur-Matic" drafting table. I bought two for $100 each a couple years ago. They actually still make new ones for over $5,000!
    They're pretty smooth and quiet, and with a lift spec of 350lb, they're build like a tank. It's a clever design with a single 8"x8" steel outer column with a slightly smaller inner column with small wheels at the corners. They use a 2.7 amp linear actuator motor to supply a 20" adjustment range of 31" to 51".

Actually Greg, I bought mine at a really cool place called "Surplus Gizmos" just a few miles from you!
    Mine were originally from Tektronix, and came with a couple pounds of eraser debris in them.
    Tom

Here my tag on lift table and picture of actuator. Heres link to my actuator
    http://www.linak.com/products/Liftin...px?product=DL2

photo(1).jpgphoto(2).jpg
    Last edited by Craig D Peltier; 06-07-2012 at 2:15 PM. Reason: add on

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping to build a mostly wood version for our office; retrofitting an existing table may be possible but I may also have to build from scratch. The table will need to support @200lbs of computer equipment + a human leaning against it.

I have a hydraulic leg set that I keep thinking I'm going to use, maybe someday.