Thread: Turning Light Colored Pens

Turning Light Colored Pens

I turned some Ash pens today and notice that when sanding I get a dark coloring by the bushings. I am assuming that this is a small amount of metal that is coming off with the sand paper and then is amplified by the fact that I use EEE-Ultra Shine which in some cases seems to make the problem worse. Thus far I have turned, rough sanded, dissassembled, cleaned bushings, and the finish sanded and coated. It seems to take of most of the problem. Increases the time by about 50% though,

Is there any other way though? Have any of you experienced the same problem?
    Matthew Poeller

I had the same problem. I just learned to be very careful when working up to the bushing with the sandpaper and wax, etc. You could also try cleaning the bushing/pen with denatured alcohol while still on the lathe to save from having to disassemble everything.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Matt,
    You might want to try wrapping the bushing with tape. I use the blue painter's taope and it works. It also comes in real handy when I buff the pen with my beall buffing system. The first time I used it trying to hold each half of the pen in my hands...I still am not sure where there blank went, but wood can really fly when it wants to!!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Poeller
    I turned some Ash pens today and notice that when sanding I get a dark coloring by the bushings. I am assuming that this is a small amount of metal that is coming off with the sand paper and then is amplified by the fact that I use EEE-Ultra Shine which in some cases seems to make the problem worse. Thus far I have turned, rough sanded, dissassembled, cleaned bushings, and the finish sanded and coated. It seems to take of most of the problem. Increases the time by about 50% though,

Is there any other way though? Have any of you experienced the same problem?

The bushings are definently the issue. What I do is to cut up a couple of spare brass tubes (using a normal plumbers tubing cutter) and replace the bushings w/the tubes when I am ready to sand. Viola -- no more issues w/xfer as they are much thinner than the bushings and I can miss them easily. Otherwise you could also make up some wooden bushings (you can use the lathe to turn them - go figure) and replace the metal ones when sanding or even for general use. Either way you will will solve the problem. I've always been one to remove the problem if possible rather than try to come up with ways to get around it... removing the bushings -- removes the problem ... you really don't even need them there after turning .. but I like to keep the blanks separated, it's just easier.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."