Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Quotes for Homeowners , Auto and Umbrella

Insurance Quotes for Homeowners , Auto and Umbrella

It's time for me to look for a lower price on insurance. I've had no claims or violations in the 2 years I've been with Travelers Insurance, yet it goes up about 15% each year.

What companies have the lowest prices lately?

Call a few independent agents with your needs. They will compare the different companies they represent and get you a good deal.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Last time I thought my State Farm bill was too high, I had my agent come out to the house to review all policies (auto, home, life, umbrella, personal articles). What a coincidence - we were paying too much. I got checks back from SF totaling about $1200 over the next 6 months.

While they may not be the lowest cost, I've had USAA for over 45 years and have been very satisfied. They used to take only military officers, then opened up to enlisted personnel, then to family of military. Now, I think they will take anyone, military or not. Good company, always gets rated at the top for financial stability and customer service.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I can't speak highly enough of Farm Bureau. Having endured a major fire loss, their adjusters could not have been more supportive and better to deal with. Plus their rates are great.

Blog Entries
    I can't find anything that can even get near Liberty Mutual and that's apples to apples coverage.

We have Farm Bureau too. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive but my parents have been with them something like 32 years with good service and we've been with them about 12. Cheap insurance might not be so cheap if you have a claim.

I don't shop for insurance just based on price...reputation and good claims experience, not to mention comprehensive coverage is what I look at first. A good, independent agent is the best way to get both great coverage that meets your needs as well as a palatable price.

FYI, Progressive has had my auto insurance for many years and my experience with them has been superb...I would not leave them for a few bucks of premium difference. Chubb has our homeowners as they offer specific coverage that is best for homes and properties like ours that have "very old" origins (250 years in the case of one portion of our home) and their coverage is more comprehensive than normal HO3 policies from other carriers. They are not inexpensive, but by putting in an alarm system as well as upping our deductible to $2500 (increasing self-insurance), our premium is not much more than it would be for less coverage from other carriers. They actually do a formal appraisal periodically to establish what the actual replacement/rebuilding costs would be for like materials and local labor, too. They also have our umbrella coverage and it's very reasonably priced. Our independent agent helped us tailor our insurance for our specific needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got quotes from 3 other insurance companies and Travelers was still the cheapest by about $100. I have earthquake coverage and Umbrella liability. Some companies price that like they don't want to be in that market.

I felt we were paying too much with our current home insurance and started shopping around a few days ago. Switching to Farmers apparently could save us over $300/yr, and the policy is a bit better (has some perks that we will probably never use, but it's nice to know we're getting "more" for "less").

On the other hand, I looked into combining our home and auto with them and they couldn't even come close, by hundreds of dollars, to touching Progressive (2 cars, 2 drivers, clean records).

I've had USAA for almost 50yrs. You're right, they took only officers at first, but now take anyone affiliiated with the military or govt. it seems. They consistently get top ratings so check if you have a relative who served. They get my recommendation for superior service. I don't use them for everything, but would never think of using anyone else for auto. There, they are the best all around, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I got quotes from 3 other insurance companies and Travelers was still the cheapest by about $100. I have earthquake coverage and Umbrella liability. Some companies price that like they don't want to be in that market.
    I just shopped around again for insurance. This year Travelers increased prices so much they're no longer competitive. I was surprised to find 2 companies that were always high priced over the years have dropped prices a lot. I'll be switching insurance soon and pay $228 a year for nearly identical coverage.

+1

I was just shopping around to replace my home and auto based on consumer ratings, and the only reason USAA doesn't top the JD Powers surveys is that it is limited eligibility. They seem to consistently get the highest marks. I have heard their prices are very good as well, but haven't gotten to the point of comparing quotes yet.

49 yr for USAA. I'd rate them 5*. Fair rates, and superior claims service.

I don't put much trust in JD Powers as you have to pay them to be considered for their appraisal.