Thread: Tools that I use for turning projects.

Tools that I use for turning projects.

Perhaps this will not be of interest to many but I always enjoy seeing the tools that others use in their hobby/work so thought I would post some of mine. My shop is cleaned so infrequently that I decided to photograph it as proof for my wife that I do clean it occasionally.

_DSC0007.jpg

So as not to have to purchase that expensive wood, one must invest in tools to harvest the *free* stuff. A Husky 281 XP Pro with 34" bar and and a Stihl 270 with 18" bar and an aggressive chain for cutting with the grain, makes a huge difference.

_DSC0005.jpg

I sharpened the chains by hand for years but this machine proves to be more consistent and the sharpness seems to last longer.

_DSC0010.jpg_DSC0011.jpg

The Laguna 18" is usually fitted with a 3/8" blade for cutting larger blanks, the General 15" has a 1/4" blade for smaller blanks with tighter radius.

_DSC0009.jpg

The 16 x 7" planer is fitted with a Byrd insert cutter head. I run my timbers through the planer before going to the bandsaw to cut the blanks.

_DSC0012.jpg

This is a 2 1/2 Penn Industries vac with a third party filter system. I hated emptying the bag until I added the garbage can to it and now it is quite easy to empty the can. The bag has been on the DC for approximately two years now and is only about 20% full, and that was due to tipping over the can. If you are fortunate to have a cyclone system you are tall hog at the slop trough, if not, this is a worthwhile addition IMO.

_DSC0013.jpg

This is a 20" Grizzly press that has an added table. I would prefer to have a Powermatic but cannot complain too much about the Grizzly, considering the cost difference.

_DSC0015.jpg

Baldor slow speed grinder with an 8" CBN 180 wheel and a Norton 7" SX 80 k wheel with fixtures and jigs from Tormek, quick, easy and repeatable.

Will follow with a post of lathe equipment.

Now the lathe equipment.

_DSC0014.jpg

Depth gauge with laser that I built, works great and only had to purchase the laser.

_DSC0016.jpg

I know this is not an absolute necessity but I use it consistently on all but the smallest of bowls and always when hollowing a HF. The setup is worth it in reduced vibration.

_DSC0020.jpg

I love the Monster hollowing system, HF would not even be considered if I did not have this piece of equipment. OK, so I am a sissy, I have been called worse.

_DSC0018.jpg

I have used the Oneway coring tool on approximately two dozen bowls and have never experienced a failure or any problem with it. Very easy to use and practically idiot proof.

_DSC0025.jpg

Some of my chucks, VM120, Vm100, Talon with jumbo jaws, Beal collect chuck, Holdfast 3" vacuum and a 6" one that I built. I also have a 6" four jaw independent, a three jaw scroll and a 5C collect chuck that I can use if needed. And of course the Jet 1642 2HP lathe.

Two additional items used.

_DSC0023.jpg

A little cyclone system, works great and no more emptying the bag.

_DSC0026.jpg_DSC0027.jpg

My vacuum system that I put together using a Gaust pump.

_DSC0024.jpg

This is my spray equipment, a Bandit two quart pressure pot and a Greco gun. As you can see, they do not get cleaned very often.

Hope I have not offended anyone by posting all of these pictures of equipment, if so, I apologize. I enjoy seeing other's equipment and shops that they use to produce their beautiful pieces.

Is that all?

Nice equipment there Ted. You look like a serious turner with all that equipment. What do you want next? I know it never ends.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Ted, looks like you have dived a bit deeper into the vortex than have I!!! Lots of nice toys - I particularly like the depth gauge. Simple idea and it works! I have thoughts about a similar setup every time I use my Monster hollowing rig, but I do so few bowls it doesn't seem worth it for my purposes. If you do a lot of bowls, it will easily be worth the effort.

Alan, I will never have the skills and artistic talent that most who post here have but I have always enjoyed and appreciate tools and working with them. There are only a couple of additional tools that I would like to have, a Robust Sweet sixteen, which I will never be able to afford, and a steady rest for the longer hollow forms which I plan to build at some point it time.

JK, unfortunately, bowls are what I do the most and the depth gauge does come in quite handy. But IMO, any tool that one uses to accomplish a task is handy at the time it is being used.

BTW, those 25-30 walnut bowls that I roughed out are ready to come out of the kiln now and when they are finished, I plan on trying to implement some to the suggestions on my turnings that you have so graciously offered.

... unfortunately, bowls are what I do the most ...

And what's wrong with bowls? They're more practical than hollow forms and you get to see grain on the inside and outside. I too have a Monster, but there's nothing that beats that feeling of riding a bowl gouge smoothly from the rim down to the center of a bowl.

Nice equipment. Don't think I didn't notice that THIRD bandsaw behind yr DC.

I agree with what you say about bowls Prashun, it is just that I have made so many, and that is relative to what I have turned, that I like to try things that are different. I have over two dozen roughed out bowls that I need to get finished for the store that sells them, and she wants "practical" utility bowls and after a while it can become a job rather than an adventure. Oh, the rough turning of them I do enjoy, but then comes the finishing, not so enjoyable.

Colour me jealous.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I agree with the finishing. I have about 20 bowls ready for sanding and finish. I HATE sanding. I'm bad at it, it feels dangerous to my lungs, and I just for the life of me can't get those cross grain gouge marks out right where the end grain meets the side grain near the rim area. I HATE IT!