Thread: Finally a Finial

Finally a Finial

I need some input here guys. This is my first foray into finial land and it's not your traditional long slender multi faceted topper. But it did turn out as I designed it . Even though it's a match to the form I'm not sure it fits.
    Having no experience I decided to mirror the form and this is a 20% representation of the form. at slightly over 1/4" at the base and 1 3/4"tall it seemed smaller to me It does apear larger in the photos than in person.
    I felt that what ever I did it needed to be fairly short as the form is already tall and slender.
    So let me have it, the good bad and ugly
    All comments and critiques welcome
    Tim
    P6042529.jpgP6042524.jpgP6042521.jpg

I think it's a cute topper..don't have to copy others..go with your own style.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Tim, with most vase forms having the finial half the height of the vase works, but in this instance I don't think that will look right with the mass of the finial at the top.

For me, this one is too heavy. I would prefer it about half the thickness and some taller, but I think my main thought is that replicating the form seems to detract from the one feature of the vase that makes it different - the "over extended" look. I think your finial on this one needs to be very delicate - just my opinion! I think simple would work better, just not sure of the design. This is a tough one, and you might want to play with it on paper before committing to wood.

1/4" at the base and 1 3/4"tall? And, just how thin are the walls?

I like this little thing! The grain seems to fit well with the piece, the top is really nice and simple. What I really want to see is your micro hollowing rig!

I like it. It does not follow the rules but the only important rule in woodworking is "don't bleed on the wood".

Tim, when it comes to good, bad and ugly, I know ugly. In this case, it's not ugly. It just looks out of place on the form. Since I don't do finials, and John has made beautiful finials, go with his advice.....Jerry (in Tucson)

I think it looks good but would have like to seen it more delicate.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve on the dimensions I'm refering to were for the finial. The form is 9" tall and the wall thickness is aprox 1/8" I listed the other so one could get an idea of the hieght and diamater of the finial. I should have been a bit more clear.

Thanks John
    I don't know why I didn't think about the paper thing great suggestion. I also am not sure about it but was going for a to scale shape and this is that mybe I'll try for a smaller version just for grinsbut make a seperate colar that i could play with sizes.