Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Wood shavings?

What to do with Wood shavings?

I have a whole wheel barrel full of ~ 1.5" wide shavings from construction lumber. My wife thinks I should do something with them but I can only think of 2 things.

IMG_1305.JPG

1. Bracelets "wife won't try for fear of slivers"
    IMG_1310.JPG
    2. Fire

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

If you use those charcoal chimneys to get your fire started, I've found these shavings are far better than newspaper to put in the bottom and light. They light better and burn hotter and longer than the paper - which means the charcocal is ready faster. Keep them in a paper grocery bag with your charcoal - at a couple handfuls at a time, you've got a summer's worth there.

I like to use the shavings to burnish a just planed or smoothed surface. Just grab a handfull of shavings and rub the furface as if you were trying to polish it. It's better than sandpaper and gives a sheen that is difficult to replicate with anything else. Turners have used this trick for eons.

Jeff

Time for a new pet!!!

cute-cozy-hamster-400x311.jpg

Compost heap. Throw it on a pile with yard clippings, kitchen waste (not meats), leaves from last autumn, anything organic. I find it very satisfying to watch all that stuff turn into rich soil.

I have a 4' wide shavings barrier at the edge of my property to help control weeds and ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    If you use those charcoal chimneys to get your fire started, I've found these shavings are far better than newspaper to put in the bottom and light. They light better and burn hotter and longer than the paper - which means the charcocal is ready faster. Keep them in a paper grocery bag with your charcoal - at a couple handfuls at a time, you've got a summer's worth there.
    +1 Those shavings burn really hot and fast

Blog Entries
    Mine are used for many things.

Starting fires in the wood stove and outdoor burning.
    Nest material for our chickens.
    Some get composted after that, but wood has a tendency to pull nitrogen out of the pile.
    They are good for wiping glue off of things.
    Like others mine are used to burnish turnings and other wood surfaces.
    One of my daughters is a day care teacher and she uses them with paper bags for the kids to make "fangango" puppets. Keep them loose in a box as they don't work as well when crushed. I save the round pieces from drilling with auger bits for eyes.
    You might find a pet store that would take them bagged up for people who want them for bedding for hamsters and such.
    They are also good for packing material when shipping things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L Miller View Post
    I like to use the shavings to burnish a just planed or smoothed surface. Just grab a handfull of shavings and rub the furface as if you were trying to polish it. It's better than sandpaper and gives a sheen that is difficult to replicate with anything else. Turners have used this trick for eons.

Jeff
    This is one of those unfortunate times where I was reading the thread backwards, so I got to this right after Chris' post about a new pet - and spit coffee all over the monitor. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I was going to say, I simply put mine in the greenwaste recycling can for the city to pick up. Nothing fancy, but I feel better than throwing them away.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    This is one of those unfortunate times where I was reading the thread backwards, so I got to this right after Chris' post about a new pet - and spit coffee all over the monitor. Thanks!
    daniel
    Ha! I didn't catch that til you pointed it out. What a perfect typo!

I compost some shavings, though not a ton. Too many in a residential sized composter and you will slow down or stop the composting action. A wheel barrow full all at once is probably too much, maybe spread over a month or two it would be ok. The rest I put in yard waste bags which my township picks up and turns in to mulch.

Chicken bedding, then to the compost.

Real Woodwokers put milk and sugar on 'em.

I compost (non walnut), burn, use for smoking (if oak/maple etc/), or give to neighbors with chickens.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Ooh - didn't think of chickens - I'll have to ask the folks down the street.

I usually take mine to the yard waste section at the solid waste district, or to the city generating station where they get burned with other wood waste and yard waste. So not only do I save electrons by working by hand, I make a few!