Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Wood shavings?

Despite what some believe, wood shavings, and wood dust, for that matter, are not ideal for composting. The wood sucks too much nitrogen out of the compost heap in order to break it down, thereby prolonging the process. It is good for mulching plant beds, however.
    Maurice

II have a cat that lives in my basement shop. She loves the things. She sleeps in them, plays in them and then unfortunately will crap in them. So I sweep them up before that third option happens....

I use them for burnishing and especially for rubbing out a surface with a finish remover on it. Seems to pick that stuff up well.

We've chipped up a lot of deadfalls and downed trees for mulch this year so I guess I could toss shavings in with mulch. However, my cat, like Mr. Davey's, sees them as toys and toilet articles.

Excelsior,
    Ted

Market it on Craigslist as a particle board kit, just throw in your own glue.

There are a couple of leaky windows in our home, and when it rains sideways there is always a puddle that extends through the tiled floor's grout. After mopping up, I just throw some wood shavings over the wet area - dries up perfectly in no time.

Also, the other day I got a book wet by accident. I opened up the pages like a fan and put some wood shavings between them. Dried up pretty well; with some pressure, the book will be flat again.

(Basically, any time when I wish silica gel were easy to clean up if thrown around, I turn to wood shavings... has worked marvelously every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Real Woodworkers put milk and sugar on 'em.
    Really??? I mean, why would you need sugar???

OK...perhaps for pine. But I find maple shavings to be plenty sweet on their own.

How about sweeping them up and throw them in the garbage. Did just that last night with a bunch of jatoba and cherry shavings. It works great as a disposal method and takes about 45 seconds.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Why didn't I think of the Chickens. My wife has a friend with chickens I'll have to check if she wants them. Thanks for the input. I guess otherwise they will be going out with the yard waste.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

I sweep and fill a trash can, when full I bring to the dump. My town has a section for yard waste, leaves, branches. downed trees etc.

Hey, The shavings used to be trees or branches...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    How about sweeping them up and throw them in the garbage. Did just that last night with a bunch of jatoba and cherry shavings. It works great as a disposal method and takes about 45 seconds.
    Our waste hauler charges by the cubic yard, and we only have so many cans to fill - anything more and we get hefty overages. The dump takes it for free with the yard waste, and it's on the way to work. When I hauled my own garbage to the dump, anything I could keep out of the waste bins meant less to pay for when dumping. When we got more proactive about recycling and compost, we started saving enough to make it worth it. Depends on your garbage situation, though, I guess. I'm never as good as I should be about squashing those shavings down, so they end up taking a lot of room in the cans!

I have no problem composting them when mixed with chicken manure, but it takes over a year, and sometimes two.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I have no problem composting them when mixed with chicken manure, but it takes over a year, and sometimes two.
    Zach, as you've found out, it works....it just talks a lot longer!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Despite what some believe, wood shavings, and wood dust, for that matter, are not ideal for composting. The wood sucks too much nitrogen out of the compost heap in order to break it down, thereby prolonging the process. It is good for mulching plant beds, however.
    That is why whenever possible I pee on my compost pile. It works best if your back yard is fairly private.

Spoken like a Vermonter! I used to have a spot like that in Georgia.....then I got married.
    Maurice

I use some for fire starter, but most of my nice clean hardwood chips and shavings go to my pottery friends that do Raku firing. They say they get great results with them. I keep any exotics and Walnut out and dump them down back in the yard waste pile.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!