Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few of my latest turnings.

A few of my latest turnings.

These pic's are of some of the latest pieces to come of my lathe. They are all turned from silver maple and finished with lacquer.
    Jack
    This one is 9" high and was to have a flared out top that I managed to sand though the side of and had to turn off.

This one is 9" high and has some really neat spalting in the wood.

This one is also around 9" tall and has a 3/4" opening which is smallest to date on anything this tall.

This one is around 7" tall and is turned from way rotten wood. I had to soak lacquer into the wood two or three times while turning and sanding this peace just to save it.

This form is around 11" in dia.
    Last edited by Jack Mincey; 06-06-2012 at 5:53 PM.

All of these are beautiful. You lucked out with that wood. Just the right level of spalt and curl. I'm attracted to the ray flecks in the 2nd pic. Really neat stuff!!!

Blog Entries
    OMG those are magnificent. Superb form & finish. Thanks for sharing.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Great pieces. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be #1. Sometimes it is a happy accident!
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Very nice pieces, and I also like #1 the best. You took best advantage of the design opportunity.

Jack, good to see you getting some time on the lathe. I suspect summer is a bit less hectic for you. These are some very nice pieces, and while I like #1 as well, I think #3 is my pick of the litter. Really some beautiful wood - I love turning silver maple!

Beautiful pieces Jack. Love that second one and the last one. Glad to see ya getting some time to turn.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice wood and nice work. My dads neighbor is getting rid of some silver maple. This is going to make me talk him out of a few pieces. He is just going to burn it.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

They all are triple "A". Magnificent wood and flawless workmanship. I would hate to have to pick.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Jack has been a busy guy and they are all very nice turnings. The one that was rotten is my pick and glad you were able to save it. It's not easy sometimes when they get to that point!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

My favorite is, of course, the one you "saved". Both for the piece and the fact that you saved it and it didn't end up in the dumpster. Fantastic work.
    I drink, therefore I am.

These are the types of forms I aspire to. Great work, thanks for sharing.

Jack These are all first rate. I really am partial to the spalted ones with the last #5 being my favorite. With #4 a very close 2nd did I say I like spalted wood .

all are gorgeous! Well done! And by the way, they all are so nice they deserve their own post!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Jack, all of these are great. If I had to pick a favorite, a difficult thing to do, it would be number 2. The wood is beautiful as are all of the forms. Well done!!!!!

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday