Thread: Question about the species of wood blank I turned

Question about the species of wood blank I turned

Hi....

I picked up an small bowl blank recently of an unknown variety of South American wood. It was very dense and exceptionally heavy for its size. It turned like concrete. It has to contain a great deal of Silica as it took me three sharpenings of the bowl gouge to hollow out the simple bowl. I have included a photo of the finished bowl. Does anyone have a clue what it could be? The gentleman I bought the wood from thought it was from Peru...

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Dave
    DaveS.A. bowl.jpg

Orange Agate.
    "My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one."

Thanks for responding... I want to apologize upfront.. I uploaded and didn't check the photo before submitting the thread. There is no orange tint in the wood. The coloring was off in the photo (I am struggling with taking accurate photos - I don't have a good camera yet). Here is the photo that I should have uploaded that more properly represents the color of the wood.... I'm sorry for my gaffe.

Dave

mystery wood.jpg

I would guess that it is Jatoba, often known as Brazilian Cherry. I have quite a bit of the stuff and it is exactly as you descibe. It is fairly common and finding a blank of it would not be unusual.

looks like Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) to me as well i'm not sure but what concrete would be easier to turn

it is really pretty stuff though and sands out pretty easily and takes a finish pretty well also

+1 for Brazilian Cherry. Hard as rock, dulls tools fast, but very beautiful. Yep. Brazilian cherry.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Description and photo leade me to believe Cumaru.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Thanks to everyone for responding. Whether it is Brazillian Cherry or Cumaru, it turns like it is made of concrete, but it really is extraordinarily beautiful when finished... I'll do some additional reading up on both and see what I can figure out. Again, my apologies for the terrible photos... I truly need a better camera... (although most of the trouble is with the photographer...lol).

Dave

do any company make a camera that attach to your computer vie USB cable ?

I just did some Jatoba and it was exactly as you described. Hard, sharpening tools all the time but when finished it was beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.