Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red BLM Burl Vase...finally done!

Red BLM Burl Vase...finally done!

Haven't had much turning time lately, but finished this piece off a week or so ago that was started a couple months ago and then just got around to taking some pics. I have had this block of BLM burl for a couple years, and I took it down from a shelf and noticed some worm holes, so figured it was time to gouge away everything that didn't look like a vase.
    I took it to a club meeting about a month ago prior to dyeing and mentioned my intentions...oh boy...a resounding "how dare ye dye a beautiful piece of wood like that!"

Well, we ain't no strangers to adding a bit of color to a piece so I gave LOML a vote on color...and red it is.

Just under 12" tall, 7.5" diam. The inside is highly finished in red as well, with several coats of WTF as is the outside with too many coats to count. Sanded back at final coat to 600 and triple buffed plus Renwax. Some subtle yellow highlights were added after initial dye work and before beginning WTF application. Alcohol based transtint was used, after a thin sealing coat of shellac.

I thank Joe Landon for a nice discussion we had regarding dyeing, and though I was too far into this piece to try, I will likely attempt something along the line of his water based approach next time to get a deeper base to the color.

Oh...and this piece was in process when the "to tuck or not to tuck" thread started, and that discussion helped guide my own thoughts on this piece not wanting for a full tuck. There is ever so small a break of the corner at the base only. The result is a very stable piece with no 'tippiness' whatsoever...kind of a breakaway for me and some other pieces I've done recently. Each side has it's own unique character...so here are the different views.
    blm_red vase _solid front_reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Front open_Reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Left open_Reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Right open_Reduced.jpg

All comments and critique welcome.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Wow I like that Tim. Nice from, void and love the red.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have to admit that I am a "How dare ye dye..." person. But I also have to admit that this is outrageously stunning. The second view reminds my of a woman's evening gown neckline. I have to say that this piece is up there in my favorites. Thanks for posting.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Tim thats one beautiful turnning. I like mike am in the how dare camp. But, this dye job is one to die for. I love the overall look, it sure is a different aproach with the void at the rim area. I must be honest I'm gonna steal this feature soon for a piece of cherry burl I've been stuck on for a design.

Beautiful!!!!
    Len

this is eye-popping color, and a well turned vase. congrats
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Tim, while you will get the "smaller base" comments, I really like how you have done this piece! With the open mouth, I think the wider base really works, and you have carried the curve well. Beautiful wood, great color and a strikingly good finish. I think on a burl this intense, a deeper base color may not have worked quite as well as it would hide much of the figure.

I am a bit concerned that you are again raising the bar with a dyed and finished interior! This may be a standard you regret.

Tim,

I love this vase. The proportions are beautiful and the color really makes it pop. The contrast between the outside and inside, as seen through the hole, is awesome. Beautiful job.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Just awesome in all categories!

Just last night I dyed an oak piece a similar red but I'm unlikely to get as nice a finish on the oak.

Great vase and I too like the color. Let's face it, there are tons of burl vases and hollow forms being made right now. The color helps set yours apart. Additionally, the "crumbling" opening makes the shape reminiscent of a very old antiquity.
    faust

I'm w/ Faust about the opening... This is really cool.

Flawless.

Beautiful piece.

I have no problem with dye - as long as I can still see the character of the wood, or it is used as an accent as in ebonizing a finial or stand. Paint, on the other hand, is for utilitarian furniture and buildings. Like JK said, the larger base works well with the larger opening, and the curve is well done.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks so much for the votes of approval all...I really had some issues along the way trying to get the colors and finish correct and am pleased with results. (I'm a pretty tough critic of my own work as we all are)

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

I am a bit concerned that you are again raising the bar with a dyed and finished interior! This may be a standard you regret.
    Worry not John...I plan to continue the pursuit of the ever smaller opening that prohibits such foolishness!!
    With a large opening...kinda hard not to work on the interior more, just doubles some of the work for a form.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I have to admit that I am a "How dare ye dye..." person. But I also have to admit that this is outrageously stunning. The second view reminds my of a woman's evening gown neckline. I have to say that this piece is up there in my favorites. Thanks for posting.
    Don't for a minute think part of me isn't in that same 'natural color' camp. It's a leap of faith at first, for sure. I agree with the neckline analogy...couldn't quite place it, but I think you've got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Tim,

I love this vase. The proportions are beautiful and the color really makes it pop. The contrast between the outside and inside, as seen through the hole, is awesome. Beautiful job.
    Thanks Nate. To be correct though...there actually isn't that much contrast between the inside and outside...I just didn't have your guidance while taking the pic to get the best overall exposure! I took the front open pic late yesterday afternoon with about F8 and 30 second exposure! Tried experimenting with ways to light up from inside...no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hensley View Post
    Just awesome in all categories!

Just last night I dyed an oak piece a similar red but I'm unlikely to get as nice a finish on the oak.
    Bill, I think you'd be surprised at how the WTF will help level out just about any wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Great vase and I too like the color. Let's face it, there are tons of burl vases and hollow forms being made right now. The color helps set yours apart. Additionally, the "crumbling" opening makes the shape reminiscent of a very old antiquity.
    faust
    Thanks Faust. I think the voids and crumbling effect on openings imparts a similar feeling to me as well, and is part of my draw to wood with nice inclusions.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Love that form. Love that wood. Love that color.

It's a beauty.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Tim - this is a very nice vase! Love the orientation and placement of the void! While the color really makes the vase stand out - it is the form and void that really make it a winner! IMHO. Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!