Thread: mixed methods question

mixed methods question

Howdy All!
    Like many here I'm a mixed tool user, usually power to dimension, hand tools to finish. I'm wondering if anyone does this------if I need to joint a board wider than my 6" jointer will handle I'll take a pass then take the board to the bench where I plane down the edge that the jointer missed, then another pass etc. till the board is fully flattened. It takes considerably longer. During this process I find myself daydreaming about 20" jointers and all the time I'd save if I had one.......
    But in the end there's some satisfaction in stretching the capacity of the jointer....plus how can complain about making a pile of shavings!
    Does anyone else employ this method? I was going to post this in the 'general ww'ing' section but figured I'd get more sympathy here!

Blog Entries
    Planer sled . Holds off the need for a wider jointer and much less time consuming than the method you describe. Totally robs you of the hand tool satisfaction however.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill...e.aspx?id=5245
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jeff, I thought I was the only person to do this. Yr right; it takes so much longer. BUT, there's zero set up and there's something simple and elegant about it. I usually only do this with pieces that are less than 8ish". It's so simple to just knock down the lip with a block plane; on short boards I can just do it right on the jointer outfeed bed.

I've found that it's easiest to knock down the proud edge a little more than flush; slightly beveled, and then make the next pass with that edge over the jointer blades. Less thinking.

I have no lectric jointer. I plane one side until it sits flat on my bench - not to perfection mind you, just flat - then run it through my lunchbox planer. That one side reference is all you need. If the board is wider than 12", I have to do it all by hand - a good workout!

I have a 10" jointer and a 12" planer.

I cannot replicate the problem you describe, sorry.

Stu.

I also have a 6" jointer and do this method from time to time. But 90% of the time I do as Sean has described. I usually have no issues in planing one side flat and this typically goes pretty fast with the right setup of planes. But it is when I get into the real wide figured stuff I start to struggle. Recently have been planing a live edge crotch walnut board that is over 5' long. There are parts that are 16"+ therefore the power planer is out of question. I have been stuck planing it all by hand, top and bottom. And the piece has lots of figure with grain running all over the place, especially in the crotch sections. It's basically like planing end grain in parts of the board. It goes from easy planing to hitting a rock in the same stroke. But this board has been more than worth my trouble.

I don't get all crazy with the Neander thing, that is unless I'm doing an eighteen century re-enactment. I prefer to use hand tools, however, some jobs make more sense to use available electrons.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post

Stu.
    I have a 16" jointer and a 12" planer. What was that guy asking about now?

I don't know what you have for planes but I recommend a scrub plane, either bought or made (grind the blade on a No 5). I made a scrub from a Fulton jack and the plane takes a lot of material off very quickly. All you have to do is get it flat on 1 side.

I'm looking out for a 12 inch jointer to solve these types of problems. I like handplaning but when your working on a big piece it can get time consuming.
    Don

Stu.
    Stu--all you need to do is try and joint a board wider than 10".....
    Bridger--your planer must feel very inadequate next to a 16" jointer! :-)

For wide boards I do use the scrub/fore/jointer plane combo and I must admit it is those boards that are the most fun to work; I really don't mind the effort that goes into it, heck some people pay to go to a gym! However, when I'm on the clock it sure would be nice to have a bigger jointer.
    Sorry for this non-neander content but I once tried the method where you run a board, say 7" wide, over a 6" jointer and really hog off some material, like a 1/16th to an 1/8th, then you put the board on a 6" wide sheet of ply and run through the planer. All I can say is that it gave me the heebie-jeebies to take off that much material at once!
    Anyways, lunch is over, time for me to get back to work! Have a good weekend everyone!

Stu.
    I have a very nice 30" jointer plane and a very nice 18" fore plane. I too am unable to replicate the problem the OP describes...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.