Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is dyeing taboo to yoo?

Is dyeing taboo to yoo?

Thought I'd get yr impressions of this. I frequently read about dyeing or coloring being sacriledge to turned work.

What do you think?

I'll start: I think first of how to maximize the presentation of the piece. I'm not hung up on it looking natural. I think color can work very well. Just as with dimensions and form, if the finishing is creative and original and well executed, I'm all for it.

For me, it has always been something I enjoy seeing when done well. It has taken me several attempts to get the confidence and I am still developing my ability to accurately visualize the final effects of adding either color, or texture to a piece.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

If the Dye floods out or otherwise hinders seeing the grain it is sacrilegious but as JK's dyed HF's (or Tim's beautiful vase from today) show us you can still show off the grain and woods figure even while using color.

I don't have the confidence (nor patience) to get the kind of finish that would properly show it off, so I avoid it for now.

Chris nailed my views on it. Dye to enhance a less-exciting piece of wood is stellar. But if the wood is naturally stellar, leave it alone.

+1 on what Chris says. Especially my lack of skill to attempt the dyeing. I choose not to dye mainly because I like the color/textures of the wood. Hiding it would be a bad thing. If you don't like the way the wood turns out, then turn something else....... Pun intended. Ha ha! See? I laughed at myself. I think I'm so funny.

Your question - "Is dyeing taboo to yoo? "

My answer - Yep

Another one who agrees with Chris. There are a lot of things today that start out as turnings and the ultimate product is far from what one would think is turned. Many turners carve their pieces into abstract works that one would never know they were turned. This can include dyeing and texturing.

I look at dyeing the same way as applying a stain. Any regular ole wood stain is really dyeing the wood away from it's natural color....towards a more appealing finish. Dye is the same thing, except for the color pallet. The only time I really have an objection is when the turning is 1) not finished well and has sanding/tool marks (to which the dye/stain really highlights the problems) and 2) dye/stain is applied wrong. Of course the latter goes along with bad applications of poly/lacquer/waterlox...ect.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I wouid have to say "Apparently not..."
    David DeCristoforo

All evidence to the contrary...but there are times it's pointless. At best, a piece by piece determination.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I wouldn't think of it!!!

Let me paraphrase George Wilson, because he once said something that was altogether brilliant, and I think applicable in this case:

"I can teach people woodworking, but I can't teach good taste."

I can't think of anything else worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I wouldn't think of it!!!
    As in Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore
    "What - never?"
    "No, never!"
    "What - never?"
    "Hardly ever!"

In my case, hardly hardly ever.

It was taboo until recently. Even after seeing one of the well known pros doing a demo at a symposium on dyeing wood I didn't care for it. However, after seeing some of the recent pieces on this site (& you know by whom) I've changed and want to try it.

The problem I have with turners dying lesser awesome woods is that all too often guys overdo it. Sometimes LESS is MORE.