Thread: Newbie to the forums looking for advice on newly purchased 46 460 lathe parts

Central NY, Fingerlakes region. Actually.. the midddle of the middle finger of the finger lakes!

Newbie to the forums looking for advice on newly purchased 46 460 lathe parts

Greetings!

So I have been lurking the forums for awhile now.... ever since I decided I wanted to learn the art of turning and started looking into buying a Lathe. I've probably gone through the same ritual as most these days, lurking various forums... looking ...reading... looking..reading... price shopping... I'm sure you all know the drill.
    So I pulled the trigger after about 10 months of this cycle and bought a 46 460. Just delivered yesterday, some tools, face shield , calipers center finder due in today to get me started. I know once I get the basics down and start to get the hang of turning, I'll be hooked. (insert big sucking sound).

So my main question right now is that the lathe came and seems to be in excellent condition and runs good, everything was tight, and the forward/reverse and variable speeds on all the ranges of speeds works well, and seems nice and quiet. There is however one exception that I noticed right off.
    I lined up the live center with the spur center and it lined up, however when I turned it the live center had a distinct wobble to it. I am assuming this isn't normal, but I want to be sure. I didn't measure the amount of play, i'm going to do that tonight, it isn't a huge amount, but it is noticeable.
    So I guess my question is 2 part:
    - is a small amount of play normal for the live center
    - If not.. is it worth getting it replaced, or should I just buy a better live center. I saw a lot of you by default buy one to replace the stock center included.
    I am inclined to just buy a better one...Ok I guess the question is 3 part... if the census is to just buy one... what is a good recommendation?

I was hoping to take it for a test run tonight, or tomorrow, but if the slight wobble will increase the risk of a bad catch or something that would cause injury or damage to me or my tools I'd rather wait.

Thanks in advance for your input,

-Brian

First...congrats and welcome to the ever-sucking vortex!

As for your live center, there's all sorts of good reasons why you may want a nice live center set, i.e like the Oneway set up.
    However, I'd be surprised if you didn't just have to knock out the center point from the one that came with your lathe, clean everything up well and reinsert it. Make sure no burrs that may be preventing it from seating well.

Kudos to you for checking this out early before it starts affecting a piece that you're working on.

In my opinion, the play or eccentricity should not be discernible to the naked eye.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Don't have a Delta, but judging by the picture the centeris similar to mine in the there is an "insert" of sorts that forms the tip. Mine had a set screw holding the tip in. It may be as simple as that wasn't assembled very good.

Loosening/removing the set screw, removing the tip and verifying there isn't any debris would be my first step.

While disassembled I'd try to set if the larger bearing portions was wher the wobble is, If so, Delta should replace (you can go buy another in the mean time as you will eventually anyway, maybe a 60 degree bulllnose, even HF had these)

If the bearing portion runs true reinsert the tip (without set screw tightend yet) see if that runs true. If so tighten set screw, reevaluate. If it runs true w/o the set sreww but not w/ the set screw, delta should replace tip. In the mean time the set screw only keeps the tip from falling out. while turning w/ taistock support the tailstock and wood will keep your tip from going anywhere (but around in circles)

If all else fails you'll have to simply turn a bowl until your live-center problems are over...

Good luck. and enjoy.

(edit: In short... What Tim said )

Central NY, Fingerlakes region. Actually.. the midddle of the middle finger of the finger lakes!
    Thanks for the responses, I'll take a closer look at it.

Much appreciated.

I have the same lathe and my live center started to wooble shortly after using it. Delta only puts a single bearing in this center to cut down on cost. I bought a Nova live center and it has 3 bearings which gives a lot of support. Be careful if you buy a replacement. The length on some live centers (Oneway) is 3 inches longer than the original delta center and this will cut into your spindle turning capacity. It is only 16 inches to start with. Otherwise the Nova is a good choice at $68.00 and includes extra tips etc...

Paul

Brian, you got some good answers - I just wanted to welcome you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brashear View Post
    I know once I get the basics down and start to get the hang of turning, I'll be hooked. (insert big sucking sound).
    Welcome to the money pit, but I have to point one thing out I noticed right off the bat. It's not once you get the basics down and get the hang of turning that you'll be hooked. Friend, you have arrived!

CONGRATS!!! Starting the giant sucking sound...... I assume you bought the lathe new? If the above adjustments do not fix the wobble, I'd try for an live center exchange. Other than that, what Paul said, the Nova is a good value, if (when) you decide to upgrade. You can keep the stock center if you need that length back.

Welcome to the black hole. I have the Nova Livecenter and the Oneway livecenter. The oneway is a little pricey but it is my go to livecenter. Maybe it is just me but I just like it better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Brian I have the same lathe. The center that came with my lathe was the same way. The one thing I did notice was that once you put a piece of wood on the lathe the wobble or play went away. as long as it has pressure on it it seems better. At some point you will replace it. But until you do, go for it and have fun.

Steve

I used the 'crappy' stock live center on the 46-460 for a few years. I do think it wobbled slightly but not enough to prevent me from turning ok. I now have another one from PSI which is better, but it's not the best. However, I don't think you should buy a new LC until you've determined this one doesn't work. You won't know that until you start turning.

Thanks all,

Thanks for the welcomes... although I have been lurking and reading posts about lathes here for awhile so I feel like I know most of you already.

So I took a closer look at it last night, it does seem the play is between the bearings and the shaft. It "wobbles" about 1/32 " and it did seem to not matter once a apiece of wood was mounted up. There didn't seem to be an intuitive way to take it apart without good potential to damage it, so I opted to just give it a whirl. The little kid with a new tool got the best of me. Seemed to be fine, but again... I've never turned before so I don't have any good reference.
    I wasn't sure if the wobble was normal, but common sense told me it would make the bearings wear faster.
    I assumed the stock accessories would all eventually get upgraded once I feel I am ready to be able to tell the difference.

Thanks again for the input, for those of you who have this Lathe.. are you happy with it, and have you had any issues. It took me awhile to decide to pull the trigger given the parts issues and the lack of customer service due to the buy out reported by some. Now I wish I had decided back in Nov. - Dec. when it was about $150 less.

Oh and I have been travelling in the vortex for awhile now.... I've just entered a new section of the funnel! It is always a fun and rewarding ride so I have no complaints... other than I wish I could have entered it sooner!!!

Thanks again,
    -Brian

Very happy with it. A couple things I'm not so happy with:

1) Of course yr sights will continue to be set higher. Two years in I'm contemplating a larger lathe. The problem is a lot fo the accessories sized to the spindle or ways or tool rest post won't translate.
    2) I wish this could spin down to zero RPM. Not a huge deal, but would give more options during finishing and sanding.
    3) The tool rest locking mechanism can be prone to working itself loose especially in higher torque situations where you have a cantilevered tool rest sticking way out over the banjo. Sometimes it's a little hard to lock it down tight - but perhaps that's by design and a feature of all lathes...?

But other than that it's a right good lathe. I mean, it can handle pretty much ANYTHING I can muscle onto it.

Brian, Take a look at the jt turning tools vacuum chuck set up. It is a wonderful addition to the lathe. Jerry Simpson