Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Tuning

Bandsaw Tuning

Here is a great video on bandsaw use.

Band Saw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Direct link.

Be aware although the info is indeed good it is designed to sell Carter products, everything can be done without them though. Not saying the Carter stuff isn't good, I like most of the procuct line.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Really cool video.. I found it interesting.. Interesting that he said " no bandsaw should have drift if its set up right " ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Really cool video.. I found it interesting.. Interesting that he said " no bandsaw should have drift if its set up right " ...
    I'll admit to being a bandsaw "noob", but isn't drift is also a product of a blade with incorrect set?

The crap blade that came with my Rikon 10-325, would drift seemingly no matter what. Once I put the timberwolf on, all is well. My set-up process for both blades was the same.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    I'll admit to being a bandsaw "noob", but isn't drift is also a product of a blade with incorrect set?

NOPE ... the most expensive, precision ground blade will drift if not properly tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Be aware although the info is indeed good it is designed to sell Carter products,
    In that case, I'll not waste my time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Great video for the noob!!!! Like me!
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 06-09-2012 at 9:57 AM.

8. I use Mark Duginske set up of blade on center of wheel with good results, the video recommends the teeth at center ? what are y'all using

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    NOPE ... the most expensive, precision ground blade will drift if not properly tracked.
    Yeah, but if the set gets damaged, wont that cause it to drift no matter how well its set up?

when i set up my bandsaw following similar procedure and before i understood how to adjust tracking properly i had all kinds of drift problems. now i understand the tracking thing i can use my miter gauge and cut 90 degrees because i don't have drift. i'm a believer in a properly set up and tracked bandsaw will not have any drift. mine doesn't.

Thanks for posting the link. I don't think it was an infomercial at all. I will probably try some of his tricks. I liked how he determined if the table was square to the blade. I also will try tracking the blade with the deepest part of the gullets in the center. This would help me in particular because adjusting my lower guides front to back is a real pain.
    Salem

I start there and then adjust the tracking so the saw cuts parallel to the fence..........Rod.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Yeah, but if the set gets damaged, wont that cause it to drift no matter how well its set up?
    Of course it will ... ANY SAW will pull to one side if one side of the bans/blade/chain is dulled or damaged. What is the significance of your question ??? I was stating that a PERFECT blade will drift if installed/setup improperly ... NOT that a setup can/will restore perfect tracking to a damaged blade ... it simply doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Of course it will ... ANY SAW will pull to one side if one side of the bans/blade/chain is dulled or damaged. What is the significance of your question ??? I was stating that a PERFECT blade will drift if installed/setup improperly ... NOT that a setup can/will restore perfect tracking to a damaged blade ... it simply doesn't work that way.

I know setup is critical, my reply was to the statement "no bandsaw should have drift if its set up right" ... which is correct so long as the blade is true, that's why I mentioned incorrect set ALSO causing drift, (which can't be adjusted for), to which you first replied "NOPE", but now say "of course it will". You simply read my first comment wrong.

David;
    The video recommends the deepest part of the gullut be at the center.