Thread: questions about motor to use for a buffing station

questions about motor to use for a buffing station

Hi all,

Just getting together a turning area in my shop and I'm thinking about setting up a stand-alone buffing station. From reading posts here in the forum I see a lot of people using the Bealls buffing wheels, bowl buffs, and compounds. So I will likely start with that. However, I haven't found much info about the motors you all are using. One thought I have is to pick up a slow-speed grinder and mounting buffing wheels on either side. (I haven't checked into the feasibility of that yet, just a thought.) But, assuming I can do that, I'm wondering about the speed. Is 1750 rpm too fast, or too slow for good buffing results? Do different finishes buff better at different speeds? (Not sure what finishes I will be using yet.) Are there better options for a buffing motor? Would something with variable speed down to say 50 rpm or so be more useful? I'd like to keep this within a reasonable budget of ~$300, unless there is a compelling reason to put more money into it.

If anyone can provide links to info on the web about this, I would greatly appreciate that!

Thanks for your help!
    Brian

2. Get a cheap 1750 rpm motor. Just be sure it turns counterclockwise. I use a 1/3hp old washing machine motor. Check with an AC repair shop they usually have a bunch for cheap or free. Almost all finishes buff well. Some of them you must let cure for a month. A light touch is usually best.

Power is not so much of an issue with buffers. 1/2 - 3/4 HP would be more than sufficient. Speed is another story. The best stationary buffers have VS "built in". Different materials and compounds work better at different speeds. You can get the same effect with step pulleys. So your motor speed is not that much of an issue unless your setup is "direct drive".
    David DeCristoforo

Get a cheap motor and couple it with this
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Buffing-Assembly/H3559
    or you can just add an extension on the motor shaft to attach the buffing wheels. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...330,49236&ap=1 you would need the 1/2" - 5/8" adapter.

The instructions that come with the Beall buffing system indicate that the ideal speed for their 8 inch buffing wheels is 1750 rpm. They go on to say that the small bowl buffs need to run at a much higher speed to work effectivly. When I purchased a grinder to use for sharpening I chose the Steel City 8 inch variable speed unit partly because it came with wheels that I wouldn't have to immediatly replace, and it was competivly priced. I chose a VS because nearly everything I read said sharpening must be done at low speeds and every other thing I read said sharpening should be done at high speeds. (I ended up right in the middle, decisions, decisions). Anyway it worked out ideal for my Beall system because I could use the low speed for the big wheels and the high speed for the bowl buffs.

Phil Harris

Beal has an adapter to use in the MT2 taper in the headstock of the lathe. That is what I use as I can dial in the speed that I want. I usually wait till I have several things to buff then do them all at ounce. I did have a 1750 rpm motor but thought it was to fast for some operations. The inside bowl buff need to run a little faster because they are smaller diameter. I'm not sure speed is a big factor in getting a bowl buffed, the slower speed just seems right to me.
    Fred

I bought a 1750 rpm motor for $20. I use the beall system on it and it works well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys!! Just the kind of info I was looking for. I'll digest this during my lunch hour today.

Brian