Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dispose old bandsaw blades

Blog Entries

Dispose old bandsaw blades

I have some old blades that need to be discarded. I hate putting them in the garbage because I wouldn't want some sanitation worker injured from an unexpected hazard.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do it. I am considering cutting them into 24" lengths. I suppose that would give me an abundance of scratch stock.

What I do when I throw away a old dull band saw blade is coil it up and put 2 zip ties on it to keep it from springing open and then just put it in the trash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Wood View Post
    What I do when I throw away a old dull band saw blade is coil it up and put 2 zip ties on it to keep it from springing open and then just put it in the trash
    And if this isn't enough protection, wrap the coiled blade with newspaper and masking tape.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Just coil them up and then squish the coil flat. They bend quite easily and it takes all of the danger away.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Just coil them up and then squish the coil flat. They bend quite easily and it takes all of the danger away.
    Try that with a 1 1/4" .035" blade...

I coil them then put them in a cardboard box (thats needs to be tossed out anyway). Here no one picks trash for recycling so as soon as the can gets dumped in the truck hands are never near it again.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Mine go into the metal recycle bin at local waste collection center.

If they aren't broken, sharpen them and continue to use the things!

Blog Entries
    Do you use a Dremil tool to sharpen them?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Do you use a Dremil tool to sharpen them?
    I do. With a diamond burr.

how do you use a dremil to sharpen them, I have 3/4 resaw timber wolf resaws blade that I used on some blood wood and that made it so dull that it has trouble cutting through a l inch thick pine board and i would love to be able to sharpen it back up

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Try that with a 1 1/4" .035" blade...
    I do, it's no big deal at all. I've also been known to cut them up with tin snips when I'm feeling inspired...

If a sanitation worker is handling your trash in such a way they can get cut by a bandsaw blade, they deserve it and should be dismissed.

I know in our area, the last person to ever intimately touch trash is the homeowner, and I can't imagine that not being the case everywhere since the the 1930's.

Cut 'em up, tape, done.
    I also cut one up from time to time for use as a buffing wheel rake. Tape 4 or 5 sections together on the ends, dip 'em in a plastic coating for tool grips. This does a great job.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

good point its not like a sanitation worker goes through your trash so there probley is not a real chance of one of them getting hurt.

Cut into short sections and taped together they make a surprisingly effective rasp, even pretty dull.

Ryan