Thread: Best Edge Trimming Router Bit

Best Edge Trimming Router Bit

I would like some recommendations for edge trimming router bits for use with wood. I want to minimize or eliminate tear out. Bottom bearing. Would love to find something like a spiral down cut with a bearing on the bottom.

Mike

I've been quite happy with my Whiteside flush trim bit (i believe it has two cutters, but I'm not in the shop right now). I have even used it to flush trim OSB sheathing around doorways and gotten a clean cut (which is asking a lot with OSB which usually splinters when you cut it).

I have also had very good luck with my Whiteside flush trim bits (and I own a few).

Hey Mike - I'm a huge fan of whiteside bits, and beleive they have the bits you are looking for.

Part numbers are upcut/downcut - the 1/8 uses a solid pilot, all others have double ball bearing guide.

For a 1/4 shank:
    RFT1600/RFTD1600 - 1/8" diameter , 3/8" cutting length
    RFT2100/RFTD2100 - 1/4" diameter, 1" cutting length

For 1/2 shank:
    RFT5125/RFTD5125 - 1/2" diameter, 1 1/4" cutting length
    RFT5200/RFTD5200 - 1/2" diameter, 2" cutting length

They even offer an up/down combination bit in the 1/2 shank, UDFT5152, although I am still boggling at how that works - hope this helps.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Scimone; 06-10-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: correct part numbers for fourth set of bits

I have a woodriver flush trim bit and it works realy well. There is no burning and it leaves a smooth surface. I tried a bosch flush trim bit from lowes and the bearing fell off after a couple months.

I do a lot of template routing and the bit that I use the most is one from Amana. It has a bearing on top and one of the bottom, this is really good because if the grain is going the wrong direction you can just flip the work over and raise the bit and still be routing in the correct direction.
    http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/...mer-47094.html

It is a down shear bit and I really like it.

I have an 'el cheapo' spiral bit from MLCS. It's been working wonderfully for a couple years now. I think it's a good buy.

I have been using Whiteside bits for 2 decades. I've tried others trying to save a nickel here and there in the past. Not any more. Whiteside is the best.

My .02.

Jeff

". I want to minimize or eliminate tear out. "
    Bottom bearing spirals are all solid carbide and, x default, 1/2" cutting diameter or less.
    An invitation (small diameter cutters) to vibration, chatter, and if the cuts are too deep: splintering and tearout.
    The third bearing in your config. (2 on the armature), and quite distant from the first, invites the resonance. Chatter and cutter life not a problem? Then why not get the garden variety solid carbide, twisted, bearing guided 1/2" trimmers?

Tearout of primary concern? Then consider some new, medium diameter (>.75"), cheap, short (just >the thickness of the work), straight bit, a plunger and a collar guide system of some sort. With the collar guide you can pull the tool as hard as desired, against the templet (templet required), without embossing the work. And there is no third bearing to bounce on the jointer chatter. Moreover, the depth of cut/pass (with a plunger) can be so modest that climb or anti-climb cuts can be taken anytime, the former far less tear-out producing.
    Contrarian, takes more time? Absolutely, but may prove to be the silver bullet.
    Last edited by pat warner; 06-11-2012 at 3:21 PM.

Chris, that "RFT2100/RFTD2100 - 1/4" diameter, 1" cutting length" bit looks exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks! Bill, the Amana is an excellent pattern bit, I like the shear cut of the blades.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I do a lot of template routing and the bit that I use the most is one from Amana. It has a bearing on top and one of the bottom, this is really good because if the grain is going the wrong direction you can just flip the work over and raise the bit and still be routing in the correct direction.
    http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/...mer-47094.html

It is a down shear bit and I really like it.
    +1, though I'm sure the Whiteside bits are fine too.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I think I will get both of those bits. Thanks!!

Mike