Thread: Rasp question..

Rasp question..

Hello..

I have 2 carpenter rasps..
    One is an Auriou 6 Grain, and the other in an Auriou 10 Grain.

I want a smoother rasp, something that leaves a nice finish..

Lie Nielsen has an 8" x 13grit.. The question is .. is 8" long enough ? Seems short to me .. My others are 12" and 10" ..

Lee Valley has less of a selection.. They have only modelers rasps in 13 grain..

Does anyone have 12g, 13g or 15g rasps who can comment ? I want a rasp that leave a surface almost smooth, its okay if its a bit slower to use, for cleaning up tight spots ..

Maybe a modelers rasp would be okay.. I dunno..

Perhaps I should order from Logier ..

You can't have your cake and eat it too. A rasp removes material quickly but the surface quality requires further processing - files and sand paper. I find that a Nicholson #50 leaves a finish ready for files.

Ordered from Logier ..

1 Cabinet makers rasp 13G + 2 modelers rasps.. 11G + 15G ..

For me, that will make a well rounded set of rasps.. 3 Auriou's, 3 Liogiers .. Hope they get along together in the tool chest ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Ordered from Logier ..

For me, that will make a well rounded set of rasps.. 3 Auriou's, 3 Liogiers .. Hope they get along together in the tool chest ..

I'd be more concerned about them banding together and going on strike if they have to work more than 35 hours in a week.

Haha..

I plan on shaping some Afromosia legs with them.. Probably try to surrender..

Looking forward to seeing the Liogier rasps. I have read all the posts, didn't sign up for the test-out in Canada but I fully believe they will be equal to Auriou ..

I am mid 40's .. plan on these tools lasting me 1/4 of a century .. ( touch wood ) ...

Blog Entries
    I have a 13 & 15 grain Auriou rasps. When using them in a draw rasping fashion it is possible to get a very smooth surface. It takes a little fiddling to get the angle just right, but worth the effort.

Draw rasping is like draw filing. Hold the rasp at almost 90º from the stock and push or pull the file on the stock while pushing through the length of the tool. Change the lead from the tip to the handle and try it on some scrap first to get the feel of doing this. Also give them a try left handed if yours are right hand pitch, right handed if yours are left hand pitch.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The teeth of a rasp are not made to cut sideways.

A cabinet file is a coarse file that can be used to follow a rasp. You could try some of those curved tooth Japanese files. They shear off a cut and leave a relatively smooth finish. Or you could scrape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Ordered from Logier ..
    I think you're going to love those Liogier rasps. I received a #7 rasp and a#15 riffler from Liogier last week to supplement my Aurious. I needed something for rough shaping (the #7), and I got the riffler for refining and smoothing small curvy shapes. The #15 teeth are very fine, but they can remove more wood than I thought (I've used it on mahogany and Spanish cedar).

"I'd be more concerned about them banding together and going on strike if they have to work more than 35 hours in a week."

You also need to know they may demand the month of August off for their annual holiday - they are of course use to EU and French work rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I'd be more concerned about them banding together and going on strike if they have to work more than 35 hours in a week.
    Hilarious. If the rasps in my tool cabinet had done that, maybe the new rasps sold today would still have "MADE IN USA" stamped on them. But don't worry, maybe when justice is finally done, and we're all working for 25¢ an hour, fourteen hours a day, seven days a week, as surely it must happen before prosperity returns to our native shores, we can all thrill with pride at US-made rasps that rival the finest goods that Bangladesh has to offer. The tears will practically be rolling down our cheeks when we tell jokes during lunch, well, most of us won't have time for that, or dinner exactly, but in our dreams we surely will be laughing at those decadent continentals who will actually have lunch breaks to eat what, exactly? Coquilles-St. Jacque with a glass of Pouilly-Fuisse! And surely in our dreams we will contemplate their 35-hour work weeks, and their full month of paid vacation, and their full year of maternal leave, retirement at age sixty with well-funded pensions, and their failure to have practically any doctor's bills or insurance premiums, ever. How could any average American in their right mind seriously want any of those things? How myopic they must be to not see how superior is our civilized way of life. How xenophobic they surely must be to decline competition with tinpot third-world backwater cesspits for government corruption, environmental laws, and infant mortality. Don't they realize we all live in a global marketplace? Until that glorious day when we are finally on par with the industrial capacity of Sri Lanka, and la Difference Francaise is finally reigned in by the industrial policy that has served us so well for the past forty years, I guess we will have to reluctantly buy their rasps. But only because we're not capable of making them any more because they're labor-intensive, made by well-trained craftsmen who are paid enough to care what they're doing, and amortized over a lifetime of hard use, represent superior value and performance. Sadly, I suspect they'll never lower their standard of living or pride in their work to the point where that will cease to be the case, and we colonials will revert to a dependance on Europe for finished goods.

Excellent retort, Jonathan. Vive la whatever. Maybe some of these know nothing French detractors will have some second and third thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Hehe...hehe..yep, those French workers!
    Maurice