Thread: Lie-Nielsen Bench plane help needed

Lie-Nielsen Bench plane help needed

I'm developing new knobs and totes/handles for the LN line of bench planes and have run into a problem. Unlike the old Stanley line of bench planes, where the totes are the same from #4 1/2 thru #8, I found a difference between the LN #4 1/2 and the LN #5. Would any LN bench plane owners please post or email a picture of the base of the plane where the tote mounts? It would be a great excuse to buy the entire LN line buy I can't afford that. Any help ypou can give would be greatly appreciated. I need to see #5 thru #8 please.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Bill Rittner
    Hardware City Tools

Knobs/Tptes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rittner View Post
    I'm developing new knobs and totes/handles for the LN line of bench planes and have run into a problem. Unlike the old Stanley line of bench planes, where the totes are the same from #4 1/2 thru #8, I found a difference between the LN #4 1/2 and the LN #5. Would any LN bench plane owners please post or email a picture of the base of the plane where the tote mounts? It would be a great excuse to buy the entire LN line buy I can't afford that. Any help ypou can give would be greatly appreciated. I need to see #5 thru #8 please.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Bill,
    LN website had (I haven't visited it lately) detailed line drawings for their planes. Maybe those would be of some use to you. I do have their 4, 4 1/2, 5, and 7, but not (at present) a functioning camera to supply some pictures.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Do you want photos of my 4 1/2, 5 and 5 1/2? Those are the only LN bench planes I own. My 4 1/2 is an older model and the other two were purchased new in the past two years or so.

There are line drawings on the LN site, but I believe they are all of the same plane. Too bad about your camera situation. The #5 and #7 would be a big help. thanks for your response.
    Bill Rittner
    Hardware City Tools

Bill, have you contacted LN? I have no idea how amenable they'd be.

Wish I could help, (if for nothing else it would mean I had a lot of nice planes!) but the only LN I have is the low angle jack.

I'm in Bolton, Bill. You're welcome to come by the shop and see my #5 in person.

Thanks John. I have all the info I need now thanks to a good friend.
    Bill Rittner
    Hardware City Tools