Thread: 13" Spalted Soft Maple Bowl

13" Spalted Soft Maple Bowl

Turned another spalted maple with a sea scape look in the bottom. It measures 13 X 2 1/2" The rim is beaded and under cut using a converted skew into a narrow controllable stout scraper. It takes a narrow cut and can used with or without the bevel rubbing. It is handy for cutting narrow deep coves in spindle work. The sides are ground back a good inch and allows a pull cut out of the cove. The finish may not need sanding. This is not an original idea, but something I picked up in St. Paul's Symposium from Al Stirt. I am also thinking of bringing a similar tool to a point to cut under the base of beads. The bowl is finished with oil and 3 coats of lacquer. The bottom especially neat because the bowl sits on the inner beads and the others are visible from the side view. Comments always welcome.
    IMG_1274.jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1254.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1267.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Great spalting and a great job. I like how you finished the rim.

Bob, I like all the detail on this one. You sure make some nice looking bowls - now if you could just get someone really talented to do some pyro work on them.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    The rim is beaded and under cut using a converted skew into a narrow controllable stout scraper.
    An excellent use for a skew!!!! I have converted all but one of mine, and can see no real purpose in keeping that one!

It's a wonderful shape, Bob. The wood is excellent but the shape would look good in paper mache.
    faust

nice detail work!

Thanks for the explanation of the modified skew. I'm definately going to try that. Your detail looks very crisp and clean. Nice form, too.
    TB

That is a beauty Bob. Like the details.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm liking this one alot Bob gotta love the spalted maple. The detail is very clean and sharp not always so easy on partially decaying wood. Nice job.

the rim detail looks great...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe