Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fleur De Lis"

"Fleur De Lis"

I apologize for the pics on this one. It was very difficult to photograph and pick up on the color and figure. Also, I noticed I failed to get all the dust off. How come that stuff is only visible AFTER the pics are taken!

Claro walnut, with African Blackwood finial/base. The fleur de lis and rim have a red undertone, with copper leaf that was patinated. The finish is General WTF - untold number of coats! Painting on the undertone left a lot of texture and getting enough build of finish to permit leveling for a smooth surface was not easy. I was less than pleased with the finish on the inside, and that is one place that the WTF was difficult to work with. It is a very confined space, and even with relatively small hands, getting a smooth finish inside was not easy, and not fully successful.

Dimensions are 2.75" x 9" tall to the tip.

This one is a bit different for me, but then most of them are. All comments are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible!!

Wow!!! Great job

John
    This piece is the perfect classical piece. I have not seen any turnings in the last few years that are purely classical ,for some reason no one turns classical piece anymore.I really love this piece it's rare to find a piece thats done in this style. Beautiful John nice change of pace.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

That is a beautiful piece John. I do like the style.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with Harry... it's classic. The only thing I don't like about it is the "namesake" fleur de lis which I find distracting. The metallic flecks around the rim are another story. They add just the right touch of "glam" to this most elegant form.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 06-12-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    David DeCristoforo

John, I love the claro walnut, however I think that for this one the guilding would have had a better color contrast if you would have used a true silver leaf ( not the fake silver) with a acid patination. I'm not sure the transition from the pedestal to the body works for me on this one.

Spectacular John! I still have WTF nightmares on the outside of forms, you are a brave soul for trying it on the inside! I have two new cans of it that I am afraid to open... what can be a "quick" finish, can also become a long drawn out process. That's some really crazy effects you are getting with the patina. It looks amazing!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Love the shape, grain and finsh but not sure about the lily.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

10. What a beautiful piece, John. This one really speaks to me............I agree..........such a classic form, but your treatment on the rim is just outstanding. For the symbol on the side, my tastes would have been just to paint that on the wood after a seal coat as I think it would stand out more...........patinations must be difficult .........but the rim detail is outstanding as well as the transition to the top and the pedestal.

You really picked a nice piece of wood to be your palette on this one, and I think this rates up there among you best pieces!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Everything about this piece screams class. That is why I find it very hard to nit pit it's namesake. The inlay just doesn't work for my eye. A little distracting and a bit "out of place". I do like the idea of including the inlay, but wonder if it wouldn't seem all by itself if it was framed by more inlay wrapping the piece. Maybe elements pulled from the Fleur De Lis itself, but shorter.

But having said all that, its a really nice piece and will look great sitting on a display stand at the gallery!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Totally elegant..adore the shape/lines, finial, shoulder, lid, wood, finish but I am distracted by the fleur dookicky.( But I get distracted by much in life! :-) !! ) Totally adore it otherwise.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

John,

I like this piece. For some reason to my eye the base may be or seem a little small but that could just be an early morning illusion and not enough coffee. The WTF on the inside is something that I have a lot of experience with and have done pieces close this size. I make a small pad out of paper towel. I then use a hemostat and apply that way. I have made a little sanding finger that 1" diameter hook and loop paper that I can sand small vessels with on the inside. It allows me to get nice and even sanding pressure. I have a pretty long handle so I can sand across any annular rings I may have created during the application with the lathe spinning. Of course I usually use my vacuum chuck and drum to hold the piece while I sand. Not sure how your are doing it but I have found that I can get a real smooth even finish with this method on small pieces. It is not a fast method but works well.

Alan

"Classical" is a good fit for this. It really stands proud, like a trophy.
    Beautiful work and interesting evolution your work is taking, I certainly am enjoying it!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Would like right at home, in a French Quarter gallery.