Thread: resharpening bandsaw blades

resharpening bandsaw blades

Before I call someone in the phone book and risk sounding silly. Does anyone make the effort to have these blades resharpened? I have a 105" Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware that is in need. I don't know what to expect the charge for reharpening will be but it would have to be less than $36.00 to make it worthwhile.

Nope. Not worth the time and effort to sharpen an $12-$25 band saw blade, IMHO, even if there was someone willing to do it. And it's not just a matter of sharp...these blades also lose their set on one side riding on the tires and that would also need to be dealt with. I keep an extra of the blade or blades I use most often and just throw out a used-up band. And I don't have enough shop time already working wood to consider touching it up myself with the Dremel technique that someone recently posted.

My carbide tipped Lennox is a different situation. If the band actually outlasts the teeth, I'd consider getting that one done...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have an auto-sharpener when I had my LT-40 woodmizer. It would do small blades. Sold it along with my sawmill.

Jim anybody that re-sharpens a blade will automatically re-set the set in the teeth or he isn't really in the business of sharpening. There are machines for sharpening bandsaw blades and one fellow on this forum has mentioned that he resharpens bandsaw blades (JIM MCKEE, I think it was). I haven't ever had any resharpened but know of some folks that do and are pleased. I learned long ago that a new blade is not necessarily a sharp blade (circular saw blades) and would have "my sharpener" touch up a blade fresh out of the box. Guys that had the bands resharpened reported about the same, "it didn't cut that good when it was new". I buy the stock and make my own bands or find the premade bands so cheap that I don't bother to do anything more than Remove & Replace.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve