Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Worst 1st..... I feel sick

Yep. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I usually turn a little thicker than that, but seem lately to have the "oops" and have the piece grabbed by the buffing wheel and sent flying with less than wonderful results at times. That was a nice piece of NIP and had a lot going for it.

Ouch!

However, you should give some effort to fixing it... Maybe, turn the broken edge into a smooth one and then make a contrasting wood ring to fit in and make a lip. Then turn a new top or recover the broken one in a similar way, glue and true...etc.

You have a great deal of talent and I've enjoyed watching your posted work...keep at it !

Enjoy the process.

Kathy, since this is your first, you were long overdue. It's that guy Murphy and his "law", the liklihood of this happening increases exponentially with the reasons you don't want it to happen. I am sure you will use it as a learning experience, maybe it will keep this from happening on an even more important piece of wood.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I feel your PAIN but know that doesn't help. On to bigger and better, know you will overcome

There's a t-shirt? I need a medium then ) I don't know how many I have cut apart like that. Especially making small hollow Christmas ornaments. I have a lot I keep to see if there is any way to re-use it.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Lots of my turnings look like that.
    David DeCristoforo

Kathy.....stuff happens!! I echo the above statement, "at least Richard Raffan did it in a demo in front of a lot o turners" I guess just
    chalk it up to experience and go forward. Nice meeting you at San Jose, enjoyed the Symposium very much. Thanks.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain