Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chainsaw recommendations

New chainsaw recommendations

I've got a Stihl 026 with an 18" chain. I'm wanting to purchase a larger chainsaw for cutting blanks. I'm at the upper limit with my saw when I cut up some of the logs I've recently acquired for bowl blanks. I recently came across a HUGE maple with heavy ambrosia staining and want to take advantage of the size of this tree. When I look at the specs on larger Stihl saws, most will only accept up to a 20" chain/bar. Any suggestions? Are these specs too conservative? I really like the Stihl saws.

And while we're on the topic, does anybody notice a difference between brands of chains? Is a Stihl chain really worth the difference in price?

I purchased a Stihl MS362 back in early February. It can accept a 25" bar and from using it over the past several months I don't think it would be a problem using one with it. I couldn't be happier with the saw. As for chain, I've only ever used Stihl chain on my Stihl saw, but I've used Oregon chains on the small Paulan and such available at Wal-Mart and the like. The Stihl is definitely better. With how many sharpenings you can get from a single chain barring major mishap I think it's more than worth it.

I couldn't be happier with the saw I purchased, and will likely be getting one of the big boys from Stihl when funds permit. Ideally I'd like to have two saws. One with a dedicated ripping chain and one with a regular crosscut.

Moved from a 028 to a 362. Good professional saw. It took about 5 tanks of gas and there was an increase in power and rpm. It is heavier and with the 25" bar it is more nose heavy. Once in the log it cuts well. Of course even then at times you would like a bigger saw, but the weight really becomes a factor. Cutting smaller pieces can be tiring.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I highly recommend Stihl saws. The Stihl MS 441 will take a 16 to 32 inch bar.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I have a Stihl 362 with a 18" and bought a 25" bar. It definitely cuts well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Is Stihl the best? Not necessarily. Is it a good saw? Oh, heck yeah... Bottom line, you have to compare apples to apples. You can look at the orange one that starts with an H and has every letter of the alphabet in it...some in sequence that are not allowed in the English language, but that alone turns me off to them. If you do, or if you compare the Stihl's to any other brand, just make sure you are comparing similar sized motors (cc's).

I have a 290 Farm Boss. It works well. Could another saw cut better or faster? Yeah, I'm sure they could. For me, it does what I need and was in the price range I was willing to pay.

As for chains, yeah, of course they make a difference. I have found that no chain that I've ever purchased held an edge longer than a brand new Stihl chain. Now, why don't they hold an edge as long after they are brand new? Probably 'cause I use them past when I should and might sometimes blue them. They aren't HSS. Overheating them WILL mess them up. But I have bought other brand chains that cut great out of the box, but didn't last as long as the Stihl chains that I've bought.

I've never bought the H brand chains, so they might be great, too. I would just avoid a bargain chain...you get what you pay for...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    As for chains, yeah, of course they make a difference. I have found that no chain that I've ever purchased held an edge longer than a brand new Stihl chain. Now, why don't they hold an edge as long after they are brand new? Probably 'cause I use them past when I should and might sometimes blue them. They aren't HSS. Overheating them WILL mess them up. But I have bought other brand chains that cut great out of the box, but didn't last as long as the Stihl chains that I've bought.
    This is why I finally gave up getting my Stihl dealers (two different locations, two different states) to sharpen my chains. At first I couldn't figure out why the freshly sharpened chain would only make one decent cut before doing nothing more than slowly sanding away at the log. Finally, I started inspecting the chains and noticed they blued the tips on ever single link on every chain I'd given them. This is a bit of a problem, because I'm not a super forester born with a chainsaw in my hands. I've gotten fairly decent at sharpening now, but eventually the chain just needs to be reground on a machine to get it back and ready for my slow mangling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Is Stihl the best? Not necessarily. Is it a good saw? Oh, heck yeah... Bottom line, you have to compare apples to apples. You can look at the orange one that starts with an H and has every letter of the alphabet in it...some in sequence that are not allowed in the English language, but that alone turns me off to them. If you do, or if you compare the Stihl's to any other brand, just make sure you are comparing similar sized motors (cc's).

I have a 290 Farm Boss. It works well. Could another saw cut better or faster? Yeah, I'm sure they could. For me, it does what I need and was in the price range I was willing to pay.

I've never bought the H brand chains, so they might be great, too. I would just avoid a bargain chain...you get what you pay for...

i as well have the form boss. works great for cutting any wood i throw at it, i use it for blanks and everything else. the only thing i would suggest if you have the money,, the next model up, is a tiny less power, but a few pounds lighter, this is helpful if your doing alot of limb work like i was the other week,,,,

and i love the stihl chains
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Thanks for all of your opinions. The Stihl 362 has come up a few times in this thread. I hope to stop by the Stihl dealer later this week, and I'll check 'em out. I do think I'll try a few Stihl chains to see if they are worth the $. I just dropped off 8 chains at my local sharpener's house, so I'll have a good comparison.

Wait till you see the ambrosia haul I'm making this week. Pics to follow next week.

I use a husqvarna 460 Rancher. It does everything I need it to do.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Eric, there are a couple of chains that Stihl offers. Of the "normal" ones, one is the anti-kickback and if you look at the cutter teeth's profile, they are rounded over on the sides. There is a more aggressive one that, if you look at the profile from the same direction (straight on...down the bar from the tip), the they should be square. This second one does a better job at ripping (cutting blanks).
    I drink, therefore I am.

13. I use a Husqvarna 359 which is getting into the professional lineup. It has a 20 inch bar. I have a professional chain sharpening machine just like the saw shops use..........makes a huge difference in getting an absolutely correct angle on the cutter and makes sharpening fast.

I take 3 or 4 chains along when I know I am going to be doing a lot of cutting..........that Husqvarna will cut all day long!

At times I would like to have a bigger saw.........probably something like a 576XP with a 32 inch bar.............a lot of saw when you really need one..........probably in the cards before long!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Not wanting to pile on the S vs H debate, but I have 3 Stihls, Im pretty happy. If you buy any of the quality saws, you cant go wrong, just remember as mentioned, compare apples to apples when comparing brands. I think Stihl chains are much better than the Oregon chains, but just my opinion. PROBABLY since Im a Stihl owner.

As a side note, if you bring 8 chains to sharpener to get sharpened, Id say you should invest in a sharpener. I got a cheapo Timber Tuff sharpener from the Tractor Supply Co. It is NOT the best Ive used, the Oregon sharpener is a great sharpener. But at 150 bucks, its a good buy, and for the semi pro with [only] 8 chains at a time, it should last. The instructions are lacking, but it's not difficult to sharpen chains. It also comes with 3 grinder wheels, so you can probably sharpen any chain out there.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 06-13-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: I the site does not like my apostrophe

I agree with Kyle about a power sharpener, but I went el cheapo and bought the Harbor Freight (Central Machinery) one. It was about $30 and WORTH EVERY PENNY! I have 3-4 chains and will sharpen them all at once. Once you have the jig adjusted for the particular side of teeth set, you can easily repeat the grind throughout that side and then rotate, reset and sharpen the other side. I can, now, sharpen a chain from start to finish in about 15 minutes.

On the chainsaw side, I researched them all and ended up with a Husquavarna 353 18" bar. It is a fantastic saw with lots of power and not too heavy. If I was to buy another saw it might be a smaller (limber) because after a couple hours I get tired of the weight of my current saw (even though its not too bad). I just got done processing a monster Sycamore score and the 18" bar wouldn't come close to cutting or ripping the longs in one pass but walking around to the other side isn't that hard! On another note, my lathe will only spin a 16" black so my 18" saw is pleanty long.

I also recommend a dealer, not the big box stores. The saws they sell are "home owner" versions and NOT built for heavy use. When I researched saws my dealer sold Stihl and Huquavarna. I asked the fella there which was best and he said they were basically the same quality and very similaer in price. He, personally leaned a smidge toward the Husq, becuase he said their air filter was slightly better. (BTW this fella was a serviceman as well, so he's taken apart both brands regularly).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------